Yogurt from Goats Milk

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by liz, Oct 6, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tried to make it once but I ended up with " gooey, stringy , slimy milk".....not very appetizing.....any tips on getting it the right consistency?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What did you use as your starter? At what temp did you add the starter? How did you keep the "yogurt" at the right temp?

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The recipe I have said to start it with plain store bought yogurt and I warmed the milk to 115*. I used my dehydrater as an incubator....the temp stays at around 100* on the middle rack, and left it for 8 hours as the recipe said.....it was really gross I never saw "slimey" milk before :sick:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Your problem is probably the store bought yogurt. I have always used a starter I keep in the freezer. Or yogurt from a former batch, from that starter. I usually heat until it boils(makes a foam on top). Then I let it cool down to 115F. At that point I add the starter, or yogurt, and put it in a canning jar. I usually wrap that in a really big blanket or a load of just dried laundry. I leave overnight... so about 12 hours. The longer you incubate it the more sour it is. Just recently I bought a yogotherm and it works great! http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/100 ... Maker.html or just google yogotherm.

5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have made yogurt before but we have a special yogurt maker that we bought.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for the link RunAround....guess I'll just need to get the culture and try a batch. The "thermos type pot" looks to be an investment also, as it will keep a uniform temp and I think I could find other cheesemaking uses for it! :wink:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we found that Stoneyfield was the only yogurt that would work to make yogurt. And yes it was a slimy mess ---- But if you mix in like different flavorings it wasnt to bad

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes the yogotherm was a bit of an investment. But I LOVE it. It was so worth it after wasting so many batches of yogurt because I couldn't keep the temp right.

I don't know if I got the culture from that store. It was over two years ago I got it and the label has worn off. lol

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We LOVE our yogotherm too.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I haven't made it myself, but I've seen it made. You can use an insulated cooler with additional mason jars filled with hot water to keep the temps up. :)

I plan to try it once my doelings are in milk next spring.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I finally got the Yo'gourmet! Pricey but well worth it!! I LOVE IT....I'm making on average 3 quarts a week....I do share though, my niece and nephew INHALE the strawberry and peach....I just add 3 tablespoons of the fruit jam to 2 cups of the plain and mix it with a wire whip...it's like the EXPENSIVE brand named whipped yogurts from the store only much better!

I also use the freeze dried yogurt cultures that came with it to start my yogurt...I like it very firm so I also use gelatin.

12. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Sounds very yummy!! Me and my mom are making ice cream, yougurt, and cheese (mozerella string cheese) when our goats kid

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am thinking about getting the Yogourmet... a friend gave me a gift certificate to Hoeggar's as a wedding present (BEST present ever btw!) and I was thinking about getting the Yogourmet and a frozen yogurt/ice cream maker.

Question about yogurt: do you have to pasteurize the milk before making the yogurt, or can you make it with raw milk? I'm a big believer in raw milk but I feel like with the cultures and the raw milk it might be a recipe for a bit too much "activity" if you know what I mean...

14. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I use store yogurt as starter all the time (dannon plain). Make sure it has a good date on it. I also just use a cheap candy thermometer. Works fine. Yogurt can be picky. try try again!

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The recipes for yogurt do call for the milk to be brought to 180* then left to cool to 115* before adding the culture. It's entirely up to you as far as wether you want to heat the milk that high...I had just heated it to 118 then left it cool to 115 with no ill effects.

16. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I heat to 119 then add yogurt starter and 1cup powdered milk (to thicken) when temp is 115 I put in a hot crock pot that has been warming on high while I was fixing the rest. I pour in the mix and unplug the pot covering it well with large towels to retain heat. I leave the pot over night (I do this just before bed) and spoon out the yogurt in the morning into the container we use. We go through about a gal a week with using it as sourcream and adding fruit and honey.