The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday i decided to make yogurt. made it the way i always do:heat milk to 165 then let cool to 115 add 1 cup of starter culture for each gallon of milk. stir well pour into a warm crockpot put a lid on it turned the crock pot off and wrapped it in a heavy blanket for 8 hours. i dont know what went wrong but i strained it and got 3 cups of yogurt! thats less than half of what i usually get. any ideas?:confused::mad::(:question:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
was your starter culture fresh? sometimes if it's not fresh and active, it won't work as well.

I usually heat my milk up to 185......

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You may need to add more. A does milk changes the later into her lactation she gets. When I make mozzarella cheese at the start of the year it only takes 1/2 a rennet tablet and by end of the lactation can take as much as 2 tablets. Thats per gallon.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
You may need to add more. A does milk changes the later into her lactation she gets. When I make mozzarella cheese at the start of the year it only takes 1/2 a rennet tablet and by end of the lactation can take as much as 2 tablets. Thats per gallon.
HUH! I didn't know that!! makes sense though.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts