You know I just need to buy some more does.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I guess it is time to break down and increase the herd.

I had another family show up at the house yesterday, they are interested in getting a few milking does for their family. I have excatly 3 does due from now to October, 2 registered, 1 not. Thankfully they do not care about papers.

But this will make 3 people now waiting for my does to kid. I had planned on keeping one or two does from this breeding. So guess who will be on the hunt for few nice Lamanca/mini-mancha does, maybe even a nice ND or two, this fall and winter.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just make sure that if they are "interested" that they leave a deposit. My first year, I had the same thing happening - oh let me know I want one or I want two... please let me know the second they are born.

Then they were born and they had "already bought goats" or they weren't ready now. So now, I let them know that I will post when they are here and if you want one you can either email and see if they are still available OR you can put a non-refundable deposit on the breeding for first pic.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Hmmm...I did not think of that. I could have all kinds of kids running around and not a person one looking to buy. Not that it would bother all that much, I was just given the green light that my limit has changed from 20 to 30 goats. What is sad about that is I only have 12 at this time and that is counting my 3 bucks. LOL

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Aren't these goats just so addicting! We started with a buck & 2 does in early 2008 adding 2 more does by that fall. 2009 =3 keeper kids & bought 4 other does. This year = 19 kids born but I only kept 4 doe kids & I just added 4 more new does & 1 buck to the herd. Counts now are at 1 keeper buck, 17 does! I'm betting we'll have around 40 kids by spring! Demand for the nigerian dwarf goats in my state is pretty high. I already have reservations for 22 kids! I only plan to keep 7 kids at the most in the spring.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

GEEEEEZE KAREN! My brain started to hurt while I was reading that haha. in 2007 I started with one unregistered doe.....2008 had 3 does...2009 5 does 2 bucks......2010 hve 15 does and 2 bucks.....but I did sell some now I only have 1 buck and 13 does haha

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wow...I have just started out-I have 3 ND does (acquired this year) and two bucks. I'm in for it-I take it. I will have lots before I know it. I also have an Alpine/Saanen cross doeling to breed next year for milk. Yahoo! good luck and bring on the does/doelings!

7. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    LOL yeah just got the buck and the doe.. I definitely NEED to get some more does!

8. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Always room for more goats.

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Just a little update, the family that wanted to get a few milking does for their family. Well they came out yesterday and bought my unregistered ND doe, who will be kidding from 09-21 to 10-27.

Then I get a phone call today from someone looking for a pet wether, I just do not have nothing available. I now have the 2 registered doe left to kid and I will be retaining a doe from each at least.

You know I hope this is not just a fluke year and we continue to have people calling even when we have nothing available. Has anyone else had a year like this and if so how do you handle not having anything to sell? I have been calling some of my local contacts and sending people to them.

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    You're seeing the same thing I am Misty. I'm having to shut down reservations on my does, because I'm "selling out" of possible kids. (I don't take deposits on unborn kids, I only keep a waiting list.)

Not a month goes by when I don't have a new inquiry about my kids and goats. Sometimes several. I've also never had a kid go more than a week or two without a deposit once I open that up.

I cut the "fat" so to speak, out of my herd this year. Moved out does that don't fit my standard of quality, does that were not settling well. Brought in a couple of gorgeous Nubians.

Made arrangements to breed to some lovely outside bucks, and plan on retaining doelings (for the first time) this coming kidding season. If I get some doelings. LOL! Everyone knows about my horrible buckling streak. (I've never had a surviving doeling born on my farm. Seriously!)

I also have put in reservations of my own to some really nice farms. One for a Nubian doeling, and my reserved Nigerian buckling was born a few weeks ago. Man you should see his mom's udder!

Okay, enough blabbering and hi-jacking from me. Just wanted to share that it must be a regional thing. Goats are getting more and more popular in our area.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I have the same....its just these minis they are a big hit with the new "urban farming" stuff - orwhatever they are calling it.

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Seriously, you have never had a surviving doe on your place! Wow, remind me to keep you at least 100 yards from any bred does. LOL That is some really bad luck to be honest but your time come for doe kids.

Stacey, whatever they are calling it, it can stay.

We will be looking around for only registered does and they will be ND, LaManchas and Mini-Manchas and would like to go ahead and hopfully buy them already bred. We will take these girls and breed to our registered Mini-Mancha buck. I am crossing my fingers on this, of course with the wedding so close it will be November or December before we start looking to buy.

13. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    No joke, I often joke that I'm cursed with eternal bucklings. Out of all the kids born on my place, only two were doelings, and they were born to Lilly, who came from a bad situation. All three of her kids died within 24 hours.