You know you live on a farm when...

Discussion in 'Game Room' started by OwnedByTheGoats, Mar 18, 2013.

1. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    You’ve used vet wrap and goat collars as hair bands, used vet wrap on your own wounds, when you’ve cut yourself open, taped up the wound with duct tape and gone back to work, used baling twine as a belt, sprayed Blu-Kote on your own ringworm and baling twine and duct tape are essentials of life.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    You know you live on a farm when…
    You’re talking on the phone and you start getting strange looks and wonder why, then realize it’s because you said "and there's 25 tubes of blood in the fridge that need to be dealt with"

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Upon seeing new little soda pops in 6 ounce bottles you say quite loudly "let's get about 10, they are perfect for freezing my colostrum in". Looking up you see a ring of curious people debating over your menopausal body.
    As a bonus DH turned bright red :lol:

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  4. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    OR......................When you are at a New Year's Eve potluck; and you are, as usual, explaining your lifestyle to curious city folk and the notice that guy next to you blanches white when you casually say, "Oh, I could never eat an animal I have not had a personal relationship with." :cheers:

5. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    5:30 is sleeping in and sleeping until 6:00 is a luxury you never have.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Umm, no, sleeping until 10am is sleeping in, sleeping until noon is a luxury. Waking up at 5-6am everyday makes me homicidal :lol:
    It's been real awful lately, been getting up at 7am every morning because I keep forgetting to close the curtain :lol:

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California

With the temps we've been having?! no way I would die of a heat stroke if I wasn't done with all the feeding my 7 lol
    I do have to laugh about the blood in the fridge. I just learned to draw blood not long ago and was so excited I took a picture of it and sent it off to my brother Daniel via text message. I just punched Daniel in and pressed send not taking the time to see which Daniel and i sent it to my husbands very city coworker lol he just replied uhhhh do I ask. But he is getting used to it since the last picture was of when I was skinning one of my kids I lost (he was a black dapple and so pretty I had to do it!) so it was a boy and I wanted the skin to be in a tube shape so it's more easy to work with so I got to his jewels and so I just took the skin right off of it and had them just dangling there, snapped a picture of that and sent to him my mistake all I got back on a reply was wrong Daniel

8. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    You know you live on a farm when you've probably broken a few laws or "rules of the road"...more than once..... regarding livestock transportation...and probably do them all again the same way!

Examples being: When my sister got her first goats, we hauled them in her little Honda. One on the passenger seat floorboards, two adult goats in the back seat. I was driving.....and had a goat head by my left elbow, staring out the window. If anyone would have seen it, they probably would have swerved off the road after seeing the goat driving a car.

Multiple bottle calves to splice onto cows. Loose of course. I think the last memorable one was, I was driving the old suburban and the calf had had enough of standing on the floorboards in the back seat, made a dive for the front seats and got high centered on the center council. I kept him occupied the best I could with fingers. In march with icy roads and probably blizzarding....when else right?

Another time was, I was little and with my grandparents and the dog; and we were taking bottle lambs somewhere for whatever reason. We stopped at a café for breakfast, left the car running. When we came back out, the lambs had escaped their box and were all 3 in different seats with the dog occupying the drivers seat....locked in. Somehow one of the lambs locked the door. I clearly remember the locksmith stopping dead in his tracks as he walked up to the vehicle lol.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. Allison

Allison Crazy Goat/Cat lady

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    You know you live on a farm when you wake up, look out your front window and see a baby cow on your porch (and you don't have any cows).

Nigerian dwarf goat and MadHouse like this.
  10. goatygirl

goatygirl sister to goatszrule

Feb 16, 2013
    New Hempshire
    You know you are a farmer when the sight of animal blood doesn't phase you, but the sight of your own blood does!

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You know you live on a farm when getting a few (5) new Lamancha DOes is way better then a Diamond ring!! My husband ROCKS!!

12. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

You know you live on a farm... When you're out bottle feeding at 10:30 and you hear this conversation next door...

Really drunk girl: Giggity Giggity Snort Snort (very loud)
    Ed: Shhhh, be quiet, the neighbors are trying to sleep
    Really drunk girl: Na ha, I see their flashlight right there
    Ed: That's just the goats, haven't I told you about the amazing goats yet? They're really smart...
    Really drunk girl: Giggity Snort...
    Ed: SHHH, be quiet, they'll shoot you

Happened last night, I about died laughing...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  13. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    ^^^Ha!!!! That's awesome!

I have way too many to list, but today would be....
    You know you love on a farm when you pull zip ties from your pocket of just washed clothes.

14. margaret

margaret merryoaks

Aug 30, 2013
    nc
    :slapfloor:

15. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    living on a farm-Diamonds

Now, don't think I am a smarty pants, or anything...but, if my memory serves me properly, ...I thought it was you who tried losing her ring while either assisting with a delivery of some goat kids or taking a fecal, perhaps...as you were on the phone with a vet and the vet said, :slapfloor::slapfloor::slapfloor:hopefully you have taken off any rings or jewelry....!!!????

If I am thinking of someone else, well, sorry!:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang: I thought that was pretty funny too!:hi5::hi5::hi5:

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    You know you live on a farm when... studying animal rear ends is part of the daily routine.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    You know you live on a farm when.....you have more pictures of goats and their back ends in your phone than your own children! This can cause some very awkward moments. Lol

MadHouse likes this.
  18. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Or even poop, right? My life seems to revolve around making sure all of my livestock is pooping right.

19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oddie you are correct!! HA...oh the pun of it hahahhaha

20. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    You might wonder if you've lived on a farm a bit too long when, instead of quickly scrolling past photos of goats' behinds while shuddering & wondering to yourself about "those people," you're suddenly thinking about posting a photo of your own goat's behind! (At least you plan on going over her with a couple baby wipes first though, so all is not lost--yet!)