The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it did yesterday. My neighbour's staffy cross dog got into my goats and chased them and bit one of them. So lucky I was home - I was actually supposed to be working 3 hrs away from home and it was cancelled at the last minute. It was sickening to watch, I looked out the kitchen window because I saw them all running around near the stables, then I saw the dog, saw him bite my Nubian Hallo on her leg, then her udder, then the leg again and she collapsed in the back end and was screaming and he just kept biting at her. I ran out as fast as I could, jumped the fence, screaming the whole time. That f*****g dog didn't let go of her until I kicked him as hard as I could in the guts, then he took off.

I am so lucky I was home and able to intervene, otherwise I would have had at least one dead goat if not more. I have two kids running with the mob, one bite would have finished them.

Hallo has multiple puncture wounds on her back right leg and udder, 6 - 8 on each. They don't look very big but they are 2 - 3cm deep which of course is prime for infection. I am worried about the one on her udder, which is the deepest. I am also worried about the fact that she is on day 119 today. Worried there might be complications with her udder. Worried that she is not eating properly which may lead to ketosis. Worried the stress might make her abort the kids - and the same worry for the other doe who is heavily pregnant who also got chased yesterday and was very stressed. These photos were about 10 minutes after it happened, you can see the swelling was already starting in the udder.

I pitched an absolute fit, when over there and screamed and cursed. I told them to keep that dog restrained when they moved in 5 weeks ago and that there would be trouble if I caught it in my paddock. I told them to expect a vet bill on Monday and if she lost the kids I would expect compensation, and if there is lasting damage to her udder or leg that ruins her show career or milking ability I will expect compensation for that also.

Last night her udder and leg swelled up really badly, today the udder swelling has gone down the leg is still swollen. She is extremely sore, limping around and doesnt want me to touch her anywhere. I've shaved the wounds and flushed with betadine, put her on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, B complex, and filled the biggest hole in her udder with mastitis meds. Think its just a waiting game now.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say, they apparently had the dog put down yesterday, but haven't had the guts to come apologise to me yet.

I am furious that this has happened but at the same time grateful - it could have been so much worse.

·
8,175 Posts
I hope she heals well for you! An ice pack in a thin cloth might help the swelling too, if she will let you.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I am so sorry and so angry. It isn't even my goat and I am angry. Grrrr Sometimes dogs really tick me off. I know it is in their instinct but it still ticks me off. I am glad your neighbors at least had the sense to put the dog down. Poor Hallo, bless her, I hope she is able to kid and lactate without complications and I hope she feels better soon. Stupid dog.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Stupid people and their damned dogs! I am sorry Keren, and I hope Hallo comes through this with flying colors and her kids are delivered safely and healthy. Hopefully your other heavy bred doe recovers and delivers healthy kids, as well. I've never had a dog actually get in with my does yet, but I came close. I've never been so scared before or since. Wishing you and your does a speedy and full recovery. :)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Oh keren~ How awful :( That poor doe!! I know how furious it makes you....I had a Pit mix attack Daisy Mae last fall....he was trying to kill her...had her down by the throat...with myself and 2 fourteen year olds punching him,kicking him and screaming...he did not let go...He finally did after the owner punched him repeatedly in the face...it was a horrifying experience for all involved! He also had the dog put down, fortunately my Daisy was not horribly wounded.

I really feel for your doe, and you. Here is hoping for a full recovery with kids and udder intact. :hug:

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I am so sorry about Hallo. I hope she makes a full recovery for you. At least the owners did something so it won't happen again but I know that is little comfort.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Oh my god! How feral! I'm glad the dog got dealt with.
Poor Hallo, I hope she heals up okay and her kids are alright. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too am so mad reading this just thinking if it was one of my goats! I think that the udder wound will be fine and healed up enough for when she kids, there is still enough time. The biggest thing is going to be keeping her on her feed. I'm not sure if you can give a pregnant doe banamine or not but if you can then It will help with pain and swelling. I don't remember if you said anything about antibiotics yet but I would consider starting her on some to head off any problems. Hoping for a full recovery for her!

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep shes on antibiotics and meloxicam (another anti inflammatory). not eating too well.so have given her some propylene glycol and our version of nutridrench

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Terrible situation for everyone all around. I am glad they had the dog euthanized, they made the right choice. I am sure they are devastated as well over the whole thing though. Give them some time. They just had their dog PTS, they are hurting too right now.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
The farm I started out on had half a dozen dog attacks over the years. So I know all to well the kinda damage dogs can do. Tore off udders and noses, broken legs and throats torn out. A few things every goat owner should know.

First if you see it or know whos dog it was or even suspect, call the cops right away. You need a police report filed if you end up in court with the dogs ****** bag owners. OR if you are lucky enough, kill the dog and then worry about going after the owners. I am pretty sure its the same in all states, but you are fully within your right to kill a dog or any predator for that matter that is harassing your livestock. Which is to say you dont have to wait for them to do damage. Just entering your property is grounds enough. Most sheriffs will just tell you dont even bother calling if they havent done any damage, just shoot em. I have put more dogs in the ground then goats and never hesitated to put em down after seeing the damage they can do. When we moved out to this new property on our own, I made it a point to go around and talk to all the neighbors and let them know. I would be more patient with their dogs then I normally am if by chance they ended up on my property but it would be best if they paid more attention to em. Cause I dont give second chances when it comes to the safety of my goats. Am blessed in that all of their dogs were either afraid of or didnt pay the goats any interest at all. Have only had to shoot the random Coyote that wonders by and maybe stops for a sniff.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i know banamine is ok for pregnant does but i prefer to use.metacam (meloxicam) as it is a slightly safer drug.

it.may sound harsh but i am not sorry for the dogs owners. i am sprry for the dog though. npt his fault his humans didnt keep him contained and prevent this from happening. i understand they might be upset but the quote from them was "we will come over when we get back.from the pound to talk to you about it" then never showed and i have heard nothing from them today.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i topped up her metacam a ciuple of hours ago as she was standing in the corner of the stable grinding her teeth and head pressing, seems to have taken the edge off as she is now picking at some grass

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
OMG Keren , I am so sorry :( :hug::hug::hug:
Prayers Hallo makes a full recovery. And for the others that were so terribly stressed !
Im horrified just thinking what you have witnesses but also thanking the Lord you were home.
Im glad the dog was delt with as well. I dont feel there was any other recourse unless they moved away. Knowing the dog did this once was enough for them to realize it was eventually going to happen again and this time it could be a child. I consider my animals "my children" cause I have none of my own , so for the people that feel the same way , I hear you.

I hope the dog owners do the right thing again and pay for all your bills and loss of income .

MY God it could have been worse , but this is sure bad enough !

·
Registered
252 Posts
So sorry this has happened!!! Just curious when you went over to tell them what was there reaction then and what did they say? If you already said this Im sorry If I have missed it. I am praying I dont have the same problem. I accidently ran over my weenie dog last week she was our watchdog and snake killer(devastating is not even close to how I feel.) Since then we have had 2 stray dogs to come up(one was a brindle Pit bull) I have ran them both off and text my neighbor asking her if she knew whos they were and how I have a kitten and my goats that I did not want anything to happen to. She said no but to please watch her dog because he will surely kill your cat. Mmmmm....Im thinking its my house, my cat, and my land...you watch your dog!!!!!! Peoply who do not understand goats or in my case show goats dont give them a second thought. They just think they are old nasty goats and dont matter much. But Im telling you Im about to pulll out the gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Micgrace, when i stormed over to the house the dogs owner wasnt home, just some of their friends. I raged and swpre and carried on. I got fb and text messages from the owners saying.they were going.to come talk to me but havent seen or heard from them.since.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts