You people are hard to keep up with !

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Good Golly ! So I haven't been on the forum for about a week .. and when I finally DO log on this morning ... there's pages and pages and pages of new posts. There's no way I can go through all these ! Our forum sure is growing !! :cool:

To be honest, I've been going through "goat depression" for a while now. I had a really rough year with my goats, it was all peaches and cream until this year. So with all the incidents ... each one added to the "pile" on top of my stress. It stacked up higher and higher, and I honestly beleive that I've been in a "goat depression" because of it all. So much infact, that over the past month I've been really considering selling all my goats and getting out of goats completely. I just haven't been able to actually advertise any of my babies .... even on the worst days. I would really feel like selling them ... but when it came to the thought of logging online and advertising them for sale ... I couldn't make myself do it.
    Well then I got a text message on my yahoo messenger from a local lady whom I never met or talked to before, and she was reaching out to me for help. Long story short, I did everything I could to help her, and the end result was - she got her doe's vaginal prolapse fixed, and the doe is doing good. I don't know if I just NEEDED something to remind me WHY I love goats, or what. But helping her with her goat sort of "broke the spell" that I was under (so to speak). I feel like (even though the lady is not aware of this) that this lady and her goat actually brought me out of my depression. I guess it's the thrill of HELPING the goat. And being able to be the person that she reached out to for help. She turned to her vet first ... and her vet told her the goat was normal (our vet's around here are practically goat illiterate). So it's a good thing she did contact me and sent me a picture ... I knew right away we had a prolapse. And Brandi and Allison and my vet all assisted by giving information they knew as well. THANKS !

But anyway ... my point is, it's been a hard year, and I think that I can "see the light" at the end of the tunnel and I'm working my way out of this "goat depression" ... and I haven't been on the forum much in a while BECAUSE of a number of things, and one is being so discouraged about the things I dealt with my goats. Of course there's other things to ... such as being busy with family and animals. But I will admit the goat thing really had me down and it didn't help to get on here and read about goats.

So hopefully things will start looking up for me, and I can get out of this depression completely. And please pray that I don't have any more incidents with my goats ... I can't handle it right now, or for a while. It's just been TO MUCH.

2. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    btw - what I meant by "this year" ... I actually meant the year 2008. so hopefully 2009 will be better. :pray:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Julie God knows just what to send our way. I was praying for you and He answered. :hug:

I will keep you and your little goat farm in my prayers as kidding season approaches and for the rest of the year. :hug:

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Thanks Stacey ... and helping the lady yesterday with her goat seemed to be "just what I needed" to even REALIZE that I was in a "goat depression."

But please do keep praying ... because if I have another incident, I honestly will feel like giving up. So I'm hoping and praying that I won't have any more incidents for a long time. I just can't handle it for a long time. Not with my babies. I enjoy helping other ppl with their problems ... but I don't want to have any more problems with my babies. I had enough happen in 2008.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you certainly did, it would have been enough to put anyone down.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No problem on the help Julie - I hope that the doe can hold on until delivery! :hi5:

I sure hope that you do not have issues like last year, but if you need someone to talk to or some help in making it a "better year" I can surely lend an ear and any advice that I can for you!!

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You're not alone in your struggles last year. We all seemed to have more than our fair share of tragedy, struggles and just downright heartache. I'm praying for a much better year this year. I hope we all can be happy for a change. I was extremely close to selling out completely a few times last year too from the stress and the fact that I just couldn't take the heartache anymore. But just like you said, I couldn't bring myself to let them all go. My answer was to downsize and the change was great. It gave me the relief I needed and with the calm of fall and winter, my nerves have really relaxed. My kidding season starts in another month and I sure hope things go smoothly.

No one can tell you whats right for you, but its good to hear you're feeling more upbeat. Its so hard being in the position of feeling hopeless and wanting to give up. Glad neither one of us did! :hug:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    2008 was a rough year for many people...some more than others. I hope and :pray: 2009 will be better for eveyone. Our 4-H moto for the year is "It's time to shine in 2009" and I truley hope that it holds up.

9. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Julie- I am just happy that I could get my goat friend to answer the phone (I have never dealt with a prolapse before... so if it hadn't been for her I wouldn't have known what to tell you :doh: ). I really hope everything works out better for you and your goaties this year and I hope your friend's goat makes it through delivery alright! Let us know how it goes!

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm so sorry that last year was so rough. I think God sent that lady to you to help pick up you. I'm glad you were there for her.

I hope 2009 is a much, much, much better year at your house. :hug:

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am praying that everyone has a better year in 2009.
    I too about threw in the towel with goating when I lost my first babies. I was very close to selling them all. It was just too hard waiting five months only to lose them. And then I thought wow, if I can't handle the loss of the infants how am I ever going to handle losing an adult. I got very scared and was this close to selling the whole herd. But fortunately I had some very close goat friends that talked me out of it. (Thanks Ashley, Lynn, Teena and everyone else :grouphug: ) I am so glad now that I didn't... I can't imagine my life without them. But to be honest, when I lose a baby even now, it brings those old feelings of dispair back. But then I go down and sit with my herd, and it reminds me why I still have them in my life.
    I have had goats for 7 years now, some years are great, others can be horrible... I just keep my head up and wait for the good year to come once again to remind me why I have them and why I love them so much. Honestly I think my life would be worse off without them. Even the bad years are better than not having them at all to me.

Here's to a great year in 2009 for us all!!! :thumbup:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hopefully things start to look up for you....and prayers that we all have a great year!

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Julie - I am new to goats and still in the honeymoon phase. As with all livestock, living creatures or even life itself, the pain and suffering will come. That's part of the deal.

But one reason I am enjoying my honeymoon phase so much is the support I've gotten here -- and the creativity of the good folks. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would find goats dressed up in football jerseys :sun: , but here's where I found 'em! And you time spent letting me know I could PM now!

So, I am glad you had the personal, revitaling experience with the real-life goat lady, but I also hope you know how much you mean to your forum friends and newcomers!

Wishing you and your goats a peaceful and healthy 2009.

14. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Julie, I'm new to goats, and to this forum, and (after reading this thread) can only imagine what you might have went through last year... but I wanted to send you a :hug: and tell you to hang in there. I'm sending best wishes your way. - I'd send you a glass of champagne for a toast to a great 2009, but all I can find is this :coffee: . :) :hug:

15. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Julie, I am so sorry for the troubles you have had..Hopefully 2009 will be a better year.

Jennah

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Julie Im truly sorry for what you have gone through, somehow it cant get any worse. If you are the Julie I remember you have always been there for us all with tons of very insightful knowlegable input. We have all learned a great deal from you.
    Im in a place where my grown kids are always saying "Dad is to old to be doing this" or "How many goats are you getting rid of this year?"
    I look out there and know I am about 3 kidding stalls short and wonder how this is all going to work. And where am I going to put them!?
    We spend more on feed for them than we do ourselves.
    It is truly a gift when you can help someone else with what you know. :grouphug:

17. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Julie

Last year you gave me a wonderful guy that has been the love of my light. I will keep you in my prayers. We have all had a very hard season last year it seems. We at the farm I am at has lost a lot of our little ones. But this year is going to be a good one for everyone.

You are a wonderful person and hate to hear about your goat depression. You have help out a lot of people here and I am one of them. And now if you need me I will be here for ya. *great big hug*

Ann

18. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Oh goodness, I've managed to miss this post. (((hugs))) I can relate so much. I guess last year really was just a hard year for everyone... I'm so glad you're back, and I'm praying that 2009 treats us and all of goaties much better. :hug:

19. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Thank you all so much
    [​IMG]

I sure hope this year is a better year, and atleast I know that I have you guys for encouragement :) Luv you all :hugs:

20. Casi

Casi New Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Julie,
    I want to thank you so much for all your help to me as a newbie. Thank you for all you do on this great site with all its helpful information. Like a previous poster...I'm still on the honeymoon. I have been a horse owner and can imagine what it would be to lose a goat, as I have lost some of my horse friends. I adore my little little goaties! Hope you have a better year!