Young Boer buck question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bleatinghearts, Dec 17, 2010.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I'm new to Boer goats and am wondering if younger Boers, like 9 months old, have lesser success breeding. Maybe my guys too short but both girls seem to be coming into heat again. My Kiko buck was right on the money last year. Kind of spoiled me. I just got another two year old Boer buck on Tuesday but he's still in quarantine and the girls are coming in now/soon. I guess my question is...is it common for young (short) bucks to...oh...miss the mark? He wanted to...did all the other buck stuff right.

2. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    At 9 months old he should be able to adequately breed does. I have used Boer bucks as young as 4 1/2 to 5 months with success. Unless he is super short for his age or you just have extremely tall does he should be able to reach. As fo0r them coming back in, this year has been rough for many breeders not getting their does to stick. I know we had several does not stick the first time they were bred, so when they cycled again, we bred back to the same buck and so far no one has come back in.

Karla

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... at 9 months he should be capable... :wink:
    if he is to short....you can always put something for him to step up on and have the Doe lower down.... so he can reach....if there is a will ....there is a way.... :wink: