Young buck not mounting...

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Totesmgoats, Sep 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    Hi there! My 6 mo old ND buck has had my 3 y/o ND doe in with him during the day since the weekend (they spent a few days getting to know each other and now snuggle and play together happily). This morning my doe is obviously in heat, she's standing for him, trying to entice him, and he's definitely interested in her new smell. But at least to my witnessing, he's not mounting and *ahem* doing the deed. He's plenty bucky (pee all over his face on the regular), I've tried having them both on leashes and leading him to her as she stands for him, but it's just a lot of sniffing and a few headbutts and then she walks away.

Is there something else I can do to help him? It's possible they're up to it while I'm not there, but I haven't seen any signs in my doe that they've completed any of their...duties...

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sometimes young ones just don't know what to do. It helps if they can observe an older buck. Is that an option for you? If not - you could try hand breeding - actually helping him up behind her while she is tied...

3. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    He's my only buck right now, I'll try the hand breeding this afternoon!

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No promises that a 6 month old will get it done. Certainly possible but no guarantee.

Totesmgoats and goatblessings like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it makes you feel better, when I started out many years ago, I only had a 4 month old boer buck.
    He did 26 mature does, all had babies 5 months later.

So there is a chance there, he can do it. ;)

Totesmgoats likes this.
  6. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    Hand breeding has been a lot of laughter. She stands for him tied and super ready, tail flagging and really uh...showing off her goods. I help him up and he just sits there haha. My favorite has been my 3 y/o saying to him, "you can do it Mickey, make babies!!!" :neat:

I think I'm going to just keep bringing her to him for the day for the next two months and give him a little help up once each day to remind him then let them be. :goatkiss:

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    Update: Success!!! I wondered if they might have been successful yesterday after I left them but couldn't be sure. This morning within 5 minutes of being together we witnessed a successful breeding. Much cheering occurred. :goodjob:
    My favorite was my spouse who just looked at me after and said "wait that was it?"

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

(cheers):heehee:
    Tell your wife its the shortest courtship in history

Michaela Van Mecl likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
  12. Totesmgoats

Totesmgoats Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Longview, WA
    Good! Judging by her rear they're getting to it multiple times a day each day. I'll leave her in for this week just to be sure and then she gets her ultrasound in a month!

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
  14. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Lol, when I have a young buckling that needs a little help figuring it out I take the doe by her neck and make her butt him in the butt, it gets him excited and the more excited he gets the more likely he is to mount her.