The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, we had a discussion about him and this skin thing a month or so ago. It was determined he has flaky skin, not lice. He's been getting TruCare Zinc/Manganese, Flaxseed Oil for a while, then Wheat Germ Oil & Cod Liver Oil the last couple weeks. Now, the skin on his upper back has white scales that seem to flake off. I have a photo plus a photo of his lower back where the skin is normal. I don't think I have an accurate diagnosis. Look closely on 1st photo, you can see the scales. Ideas?

Normal skin:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I’m not an expert but that what my one goats skin looked like when he had mites but his wasn’t that thick looking, I used ivermectin injections, 1 cc per 33 pounds, one shot a week for 3 weeks, we had to do one shot a week for 6 weeks because he had them bad, but he is mostly healed up now, skin takes awhile to heal up perfect. Also garlic daily helps boost immune system which helps when they are dealing with mites, hopefully someone with more experience with mites and skin problems can chime in

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Has he been treated for mites? We use ivomectin Injectable once a week for 3 weeks as well but at the rate of 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q. Sometimes a few rounds is needed for stubborn cases. Garlic never hurts 😉

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Then I would do the ivomec. It might also help to treat topically with either nustock or MTG for horses. Both are sulfur based and will help get rid of the mites

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then I would do the ivomec. It might also help to treat topically with either nustock or MTG for horses. Both are sulfur based and will help get rid of the mites
Okay, thanks. No harm in trying those. Will do. I just gave CDT and BoSe injections today, should I wait before injecting Ivomec? Or doesn't matter...

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
I just gave CDT and BoSe injections today, should I wait before injecting Ivomec? Or doesn't matter...
Won't hurt his system to give it. Do follow up 3-4 hours after with probiotics

Reactions: laurelsh

·
Registered
401 Posts
Having a vet do a skin scraping at this point would be my advice. Curious, why BoSe?
Our vet did a skin scraping on my poor wether that had them the worst , he scraped at two different places and still didn’t find any mites, so he just said he wasn’t quite sure what was a wrong with him, and said to just wait and see if the mineral shots helped at all, but I was pretty sure it was mites so we treated for that and his skin looks almost normal now, so I’m just saying skin scrapings aren’t always right. But I do recommend getting one done anyway because if they do find mites on the scraping, you don’t need to play the guessing game on wether or not they have mites , like I did

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Having a vet do a skin scraping/biopsy at this point would be my advice.
From the fish scale appearance of the skin, being isolated to that one area, Ichthyosis is my suspicion. I know it can effect llamas, chickens, mice, dogs, and cattle. I do not know if it is a condition found in goats. Since there is little research information available concerning goats, I'm not surprised at being unable to find cases of it being documented. I am not saying with certainty this is Ichthyosis by any means. Having the conditioned ruled out would be prudent as there is a genetic link associated in other animals.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently ichythosis is possible but not common in goats. I can get a skin scraping on 6/21 when the vet is here if I need to, but would prefer not to if not necessary as it has not been helpful in the past with other goats, and it is expensive. Vitamin A seems to be a treatment for it. I'd prefer to try him on Vitamin A and see if it helps. What is the dose for Vitamin A? And give him the ivermectin injection too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts