Young bucks with older bucks

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, Jul 8, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I have a younger Nubian buck (approx 10 weeks) who has been trying to mount his future brides (same age) so obviously I have to separate him. I threw him in with our boer buck, who is about 5 months old, and immediately the boer tries to mount him. Obviously the boer is a good bit bigger. Should I worry about this? Should I take him out and isolate him?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well he is trying to gain dominance over the little one...I think after theyv figured out whos boss buck they'll be fine. younger bucks (IMO) arent as aggresive towards each other compared to an adult.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they will do that....you feel so sorry for the little guy being chased....but eventually...most of the time.. they calm down......the age difference is a spread out...but watch them.. and if the older one continues to chase and stress the little guy.. for to long.. then I would maybe ..separate them.....the weaning process alone... can be stressful.... :hug: good luck....

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I know what you mean. I had to put my baby buck in with the big boys. Tucker Joe is a year older and he is always mounting poor little Johnny. Johnny is 7 months old.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I put 9 week old Teddy in with his Dad and "uncle", the older boys had to show him who was top dog, what I did was to keep them toghether but provided Teddy with a box just big enough for him to run into if they were too persistent. Worked fine and now over a year later, Teddy is the one trying to be "top dog"

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My non-dominate buck is the one that always does that mounting. And he's a year younger! I guess that's why we call it the "Funny Farm". :greengrin:

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Without getting too explicit, there's mounting and then there's mounting. Today's episode involved mounting with some other purpose besides dominance. The young buck had just been trying to mount the little doeling and I think there were some pheromones in the air that stirred them all up. If that kind of thing isn't too common, then I'm not terribly worried. I just don't want the young one hurt, but I also don't want to isolate him either.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I meant that two 6 week old bucks arent going to kill or injure each other while two large bucks can get rowdy and knock a horn off or impale another buck...jmo

_______

I think that after a few days your bucks should be fine together..my three bucks (now 2) used to 'mount' each other for dominance...funny seeing itty bitty Thor trying to dominate a 250lb Odin..goats are odd for sure