The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several days, our eight week old Nigerian Dwarf doe lays with head on floor. Low energy, stumbles occasionally. When standing or sitting up, head moves side to side. Still has good appetite. Two days ago, gave baking soda drench, benadryl & B complex gel. Temp was slightly high. Took to vet & they assumed (as we did) that she had goat polio (temp was normal). Started thiamin & penicillin injections (just in case of an infection). That was yesterday and we continued injections today but no change in symptoms. Even though she acts drunk, she is able to walk & even run a short distance so there doesn't seem to be physical injuries. No sign that she is in pain. Thanks for any advice. Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure that she can see? Moving the head from side to side was the first thing that we noticed when our buck had listeriosis. If it is listeriosis or polio you need to give thiamine every six hours around the clock, along with penicillin and dexamethasone or banamine. Here is more information: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
Thank you for replying. She doesn't seem to have vision problems. I took her for a walk & she was able to navigate around obstacles. She seems to improve after a little activity and actually ran to her mom when we returned to the barn. Generally, she relapses after settling down though.
I am stepping up the thiamine injections to see if that helps. I don't have Banamine at the moment but will get some.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem Solved:
It appears that multiple doses of Thiamine did the trick. After several days of on-again-off-again symptoms, she seems to have stabilized. In fact, she is now running, leaping and being a general cut-up. No more head wagging or dead goat poses.
Thanks,
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts