The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Young doe with nasty diarrhea UPDATE! Not Cocci!

My kids 4mo % boer doe has really bad diarrhea today, and is feeling horrible.

She's not been looking 100% imo the past week, seemed to look a bit thinner, and really sunken in. Was acting fine, playing, etc. even late yesterday, she was bouncing and running around.

2 things...

Sat or Sun I wormed her with 2 1/2-3x a horses dose of Quest Plus. Her eyelids were so/so, and I figured she was ready to be wormed - it's that time of year.

Fri we went to get grain, feed store was out. He gave us lamb feed, said it shouldn't upset them at all since it's the same exact thing minus the copper & medication. Mixed that with their feed I had left. They don't particularly care for it, but eat it anyway. They get copper from a horse supplement that we feed.

So I am not sure if it could be a stomach bug, worming issue, or feed issue :confused:

Her temperature is fine. I had my son listen to her rumen and he said he heard gurgling/growling.

We gave her 20cc of Pepto Bismol <she spilled a little>, waited and drenched her with a scoop of goat probios. Waited a few more minutes, and gave her 2cc of B-12.

Any ideas what else I should do? Or just keep dosing her with this? How often should I give the pepto, and how much? She's about 75-80lbs. We've never had one with diarrhea this bad before.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Sounds like a feed issue. It happens every time I feed something medicated.
I'd give some penicillin, and kaopectate. About 1.5 CC of the penicillin and 6 oz of kaopectate. That should clear it up. I would stop feeding her the lamb grain, it will only escalate the problem.
You can give the pepto every 4-6 hours.

I don't think it would be the wormer, as I once forgot to lock the tube on a zimectrin gold and was worming a little 40 lb doe and the entire tube was given to her! She was fine, suffered no side effects.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all I have on hand is pepto, I don't have any kaopectate. I am assuming this is OTC in a pharmacy? I've never bought it before, only seen it mentioned on here from time to time.

I do have penG.

Someone suggested it could be cocci? But I'm wondering if maybe she had a slight worm issue, and after worming and then the feed it made her sick?

However, I noticed she sounds a tiny bit stuffy in her nose. Her nose isn't running/no discharge.

She's drinking water.

If it's not one thing it's another. We've been watching her brother since he got a chain stuck in the side of his mouth last week! I think it's going to abscess.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
If it has been a week and no change, I recommend a fecal for worms and cocci.

Horse paste wormers, aren't working in some area's, so be aware. I use Ivomec or Valbezen( not for preggo's) depending on what worm, it may be. 1cc per 33lbs orally, then again 10 days later.

Scouring goats should not get any grain, until they clear up , then gradually give it to them again.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Pam, I meant to say she didn't look great the past week, like something was up, even though she was acting fine.
The scouring must have started sometime after midnight into this morning, because when I fed her bottle baby buddy at midnight, they were fine. Although I noticed she didn't eat her grain.

I took the grain out, and she has clover grass hay. Right now she's not interested in any of that stuff.
Bless her heart, she's been standing on a cinder block and putting her head against the stall wall. Occasionally she lays down. She acts like she doesn't want to get 'dirty' even though the stall is remotely clean.

So far, Quest plus has been reasonably effective for us. BUT, I am worried this could be round worm which we need Ivermectin to treat. I know Moxidectin in high doses is affective against the other worm we deal with.
This seems to be the time of year that round worm start peaking.
I wish her poo wasn't so watery where I could collect a decent sample, that away I could check it.

As a precaution we are going to start her on SMZ's since we did notice she wasn't 100% right before the feed change.

BTW, her eyelids have been so/so, she's never had pale eyelids. Even today her eyelids seem okay, just not as dark as I am used to seeing, but not pale enough that I thought she had a major issue :(

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Her temp is up to 103.8, but it's 84 out, and the sun is starting to make it warmer in the barn. I opened it up more, there is a nice breeze, so hopefully that will help. Praying it's not because of infection.

Her diarrhea is all mucus now. I'm guessing that's from the water since she hasn't eaten anything.

I figure I'll give her more Pepto & probios after we give the SMZ's a chance to get into her system.

Poor sweetie.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Also if you have any corid or something like that give that to her. The dose on my bottle is to mix :
1-1/2 oz corid (2 Tbsp's is 1 oz)
16 oz water. (1 pint)
Mix that for a drench. The rate is 5cc or mL per 25lbs body weight. once a day for 5 days.
But for now I would do 5cc (125lbs) dose for your 80lb doe, and give that to her once, then the next day do 4 cc for the rest of the treatment.

When my kids or adult goats go down with scours I give them
8oz kaopectate, for adults, Or 6 oz for kids
Corid
Penicillin
and worm them after they get better.

If kaopectate doesnt work, try raw blackberry root tea. Nothing but blackberry roots boiled in water.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow that is great info Thanks!
I don't have corid, don't think I can get to the feed store before they close today :( But I do need to go to the grocery, so I can look for the kaopectate. I am almost out of pepto. We've never had to give anything other than pepto for scours as it usually helped pretty quickly.

Since I started her on SMZ's I'm guessing not to give her penG since the SMZ's have an antibiotic in them?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Pepto, along with a sulfa antibiotic would be where I would start. If it doesn't clear up in a couple days start neomycin. While your doing all this keep probios up daily... These things can be hard on already upset tummies.

Most sulfas are 1cc per 5lb the first day and then 1cc per 10lbs for four days afterwards. It sounds like a feed issue but don't rule out cocci... Especially since you said her eyelids were so-so. It comes on in times of stress and a worm load is stressful.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
I would give her C D Antitoxin..keep her on pepto and do a fecal to see if you are dealing with cocci or some other worm the wormer didnt get

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oops! I just caught a slip up I made!
****3oz corid per 16 oz water***** not what i said before!
sorry about that, i was used to mixing it for kids by halving everything.
For a small batch it would be 1-1/2 oz corid per 8 oz water

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not Cocci

Alright... I DON'T think this is Cocci like first thought...

It is definitely the feed.

One of the kids wethers has the same thing :(

The diarrhea on the doe seems a tiny bit better, BUT, she's starting to walk weak on the hind end.

I checked her eyelids and they are a good pink, not pale.

I am extremely worried, this is like deja vu all over again! :( We had similar issue with a buck a couple of years ago who got sick because of feed change.

I am more than kicking myself for listening to the man at the feed store about how they should be just fine eating it since it's the same thing, just no copper, blah, blah, blah! They will hear from me tomorrow!
These goats were healthy until we had to buy 'lamb' feed because they were out of the goat feed.

I am terrified they are going to go downhill like our buck. I had to treat him for polio type symptom's and it was h*ll.

We gave them both a big dose of Pepto, waited about 20 minutes and gave them each a full scoop of Goat prefer's probios. Then gave them each a shot of B-12 2 1/2-3cc each. We gave it under the skin this time.

I am just beside myself. Never EVER again will I also let my husband tell me not to buy more until we're almost completely out. This is what happens when you do that.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'm wondering if they need the cd antitoxin? Or should I start treating them with high doses of PenG and the B12 shots every 4-6 hours? I know that's what we did with our buck when he was real sick.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Get scour halt if your feed store has it. It will.clear them right if it is feed which it.sounds like. No more lamb feed at all, just do hay and browse.

Lamb feed is not usually composed the same as goats feed. It tends to be a sweeter type feed and is made with a bit different ingredients.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get scour halt if your feed store has it. It will.clear them right if it is feed which it.sounds like. No more lamb feed at all, just do hay and browse.

Lamb feed is not usually composed the same as goats feed. It tends to be a sweeter type feed and is made with a bit different ingredients.
Thanks Dani I appreciate it. I do think the feed store has it, if not there is a TSC about 10 minutes away.

They told me at the feed store it wouldn't hurt the goats, that it was the same other than no copper and I think no medication.
I should have just bought the horse supplement we give them, and just give them a little of that 2x a day like we already do. I shouldn't have listened to them :(

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Yes They need C D Antitoxin...any time the rumen has been messed with ...With the meds you already gave...I personally would only do the CD Antitoxin and B complex..I would also give pepto to help sooth the tummy and dry them up...No grain at all grass hay only until you see berries...keep them Hydrated...the home made stuff they seem to really like and so might drink plenty...
Homemade ElectrolytesA half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

When I looked on the back of the electrolytes bag at ingredients the main ingredients were Sugars, Sodium/salts and Potassium along with vitamin and minerals..

Molasses is a sugar with Vitamins and Minerals

Of course the salts are hopefully self explanatory..

Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium..

This is much cheaper than those tiny bags of electrolytes and usually you have these ingredients on hand.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts