The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my friends, my 14month old wether has started head butting objects a lot now, and seems rough in his actions, is that because he is coming up to maturity and breeding season?, he seems to mount my 14month old doe bit more, even if she not in season, is this all normal, I just worried I case he is turning aggressive, although he is fine with me, few challenges but I hopefully still have his respect, I do use water spray now and then to let him know Iam boss.
Also would you recommend slightly rounding off his horns, I’ve read to only trim 1/4” at a time, and to watch for any blood loss.
thank you all, love from UK

·
8,359 Posts
Yes, round off the horns, even put tennis balls on them. But, that won't stop the head butting. He is looking for limits and boundaries. Do you have an older goat that is more dominant? Put him with that goat to teach him some manners. Or, keep him with other wethers his size. Boys seem to wrestle and bash around more than does usually do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, round off the horns, even put tennis balls on them. But, that won't stop the head butting. He is looking for limits and boundaries. Do you have an older goat that is more dominant? Put him with that goat to teach him some manners. Or, keep him with other wethers his size. Boys seem to wrestle and bash around more than does usually do.
Hi, I only have him and a doe, just pets had them both since they were 6months old, overall he is lovely, just thought it’s him maturing, and want to do the best for them both, the doe is very gentle and sweet, thank you

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe a mistake having a boy and girl ! | The Goat Spot Forum

What type of objects is he head butting? In what way does he try to challenge you? What type of behavior(s) are you trying to correct with the spray bottle?
Hi Sandra,
he head butts a wood panel on fence, a post in his paddock, often rubbing his horns on things too, I’ve checked for mites/ lice etc around his horns, all clear, in fact I’ve had no mites or lice on either of my goats…. so far been lucky, he does not really challenge me, just sometimes wants a lot of fuss and rubs etc, which I do keep his head away from me whilst rubbing his sides, I spray him if he gets too pushy or is over greedy over food with my doe, or if I want to enter is pen and he is in the way, I only need to show him the spray, he knows NO too , thank you

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Most of what you've been describing is just a boy testing his approaching adulthood. Butting post, a wood panel, is sometimes a way teenage male goat works out pent up frustration, test their skills, and prove they are manly. Rubbing and polishing horns is a behavior I see in my own horned wether, last fall and recently. (He is 3 1/2) If there was another teenage male within the herd, they would be knocking heads with each other. Testing their strength, position in the herd, and rough housing together. He sounds like a well behaved wether and other than some alpha food dominance, doesn't appear that he's aggressive.

Also, even though the doe may not be in standing heat right at the moment, rut has began and the doe will put off scent that gets stronger as the standing time nears. I believe a doe will cycle every 21 days until January, early February. Even though he is a wether and can't impregnant her, he can still detect the hormonal changes. This could also be a reason behind some of the behavior changes you're seeing.

Thanks for answering my questions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of what you've been describing is just a boy testing his approaching adulthood. Butting post, a wood panel, is sometimes a way teenage male goat works out pent up frustration, test their skills, and prove they are manly. Rubbing and polishing horns is a behavior I see in my own horned wether, last fall and recently. (He is 3 1/2) If there was another teenage male within the herd, they would be knocking heads with each other. Testing their strength, position in the herd, and rough housing together. He sounds like a well behaved wether and other than some alpha food dominance, doesn't appear that he's aggressive.

Also, even though the doe may not be in standing heat right at the moment, rut has began and the doe will put off scent that gets stronger as the standing time nears. I believe a doe will cycle every 21 days until January, early February. Even though he is a wether and can't impregnant her, he can still detect the hormonal changes. This could also be a reason behind some of the behavior changes you're seeing.

Thanks for answering my questions.
Many thanks Sandra, for taking the time to explain a lot to me, very grateful and I now know my wether is just being normal, take care and thanks again

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
Yep, I can't see the pictures either. I too would love to see your babies!! 😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts