The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The female is about 6 months old and we found her in the pasture laying down on Saturday we are not sure how long she was there but could have been 24 hours before it was noticed- she eats and drinks but cannot get up on the rear legs. She has pulled herself along with her front legs on Sunday but she hasn’t done that since then.
We don’t want to put her down but we are thinking it may be best unless we get something that may help. It’s like her legs failed 😞

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear your girl isn't doing well. Have your goats been tested for CAE?

Sorry I don't have any advice. @happybleats @goathiker @toth boer goats @ksalvagno should have some suggestions and/or advice. Hope everything will be okay.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
Does she have ANY other abnormal symptoms? Is her temp good, has she had a fecal recently, is her poop normal, has she lost any weight, what breed is she? Do you think her back legs got broken somehow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does she have ANY other abnormal symptoms? Is her temp good, has she had a fecal recently, is her poop normal, has she lost any weight, what breed is she? Do you think her back legs got broken somehow?
She looks good no temp poop normal grazing on hay and grass and drinking normal - legal are not broken- so strange-

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
do you have white tail deer where you are? Any chew mark near her rear and spine?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Meningeal worm ( deer worm) takes time to cause paralyze the back legs. It can start off with a slight wabbly gait, a bit of a cross cross walk...then progresses. The goat will act norml, eat, drink, graze until it's not able to use the back legs. As the worm migrates up the spine, more damage is done and the less likely to save the goat. Treatment, even in unsure is Safeguard for five days and Dexamethsone for 5 days, given in decreasing doses..start with 1 cc per 20# once. day and decrease a small amount over 5 days. If the goat is bred, you may choose banamine instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The goat is 6'months old? Could she have had some sort of fall or accident? She needs to be held up, laying down all the time is not good. Put a towel over a bale of hay and put her over the hay. This would be in addition to Safequard and Dex. Good luck!
Thanks for the input from all. We have the goat now being cared for by a lady that is working to rehab her. She will be using a sling and hay bale and hopefully get her up again-

I’ll update when I know more

Blessings -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts