Young March bucklings lost their mamma... Now what?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, May 6, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So, it just dawned upon me, (when i saw briar drinking from one of my does!) that my boys are too young to be weaned. They are almost 8 weeks old, and lost their mamma on Sunday. I know they probably wont take to a bottle too well but i will try to get them to. I have a doe in milk, who has no kids, because all of hers were DOA, so they can have her milk. (i cant drink it now anyways, because of all the dewormers everybodys getting) It hurts my heart to dump all her milk when im done, so now im hoping it could go to use.

So, my question is, should i try to get them to take a bottle, or would i just be wasting my time? I can put cricket on the stand and try to let them drink from her, but, i highly doubt she'd allow that. Crickets is sweet, but she is pretty ornery!
    I plan on giving them 2 bottles / day, just maybe a half a soda bottle each, one in the morning, and one in the evening. I know the baking soda trick and stuff, but just wanted to hear what yall got to say?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Destiny lost her momma at 5 weeks. She didnt like the bottle the first 2 days. Now I feed her 3 x daily and at 8.5 weeks she is discovering Autumn leaves and green grass, hay and alfa tastes better. Goats can be stubborn. But with patience and their hunger bottlibg them should be relatively easy.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If they will take a bottle ..yes indeed try it. Or make Cricket stand for them for a few minute times a day.

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thank yall! I will try when i go out and feed in a few minuites. I will try bottle feeding first to see what happens, and if they dont take that, then i will let them drink from cricket!
    im going to put some molasses or honey on the nipple and see if that helps...

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Well, Finley didnt put up as much of a fight as briar... I kind of expected that. Finley would suck/chew when there was molasses on the nipple, but Briar would just freeze up and yell randomly LOL! Honestly, it didnt go as bad as expected. I was expecting them to act like they were dying, but nope! Finley was more of a mammas boy, so i am expecting him to take before briar does...

Off to finish chores!

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How much should i give them? I have never really bottle fed before. i saw someone made a chart somewhere, but i cant find it anymore. I was planning on giving them each half of what cricket makes so that about 32 oz (16 oz each)in the morning, and about 16-20 oz (8/10 oz each) in the evening, with a pinch of baking soda every morning. Does that sound good for 8 week old 30-ish more or less pound (havent weighd them in a few weeks) bucklings?

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Another question. How am i supposed to keep the milk warm. I milk cricket into the plastic bottle, then try to feed it, but it doesnt stay warm for very long

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Just make sure they are not poochy when done with the bottle and they should be fine. Decrease a bit if they are.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    As long as the milk is not frig cold they should be fine with it

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok thanks! finley was a bit poochy, so i gave him baking soda. he is acting fine though!

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Fantastic to hear. Yay

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    no luck this morning. I know they arent gona take easily, but Im thinking they dont like the pritchard teat either. Any other suggestions for teats?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I wonder if you can try to put them onto the doe without kids? Sometimes, you may have that 1 goat who will take any kid.
    Worth a try?
    Even if she holds still enough so they nurse, by you tying her up or holding her.
    Maybe worth a shot?

[​IMG]

Or a human baby nipple.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    i put cricket on the stand, and the boys tried to suck, but she wouldnt allow it. She kept stomping on them, and Briar was favoring his front leg for a few minuites. Hes fine now, but it was kinda scary...

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Can i get those black nipples at TSC? Those also pop on a soda bottle correct?

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They might have the nipples, I would call around.

With the doe, you will have to tie her back leg or kinda hobble her, plus with tie down sort to speak, so she cannot jump, stomp ect.

Glad the kid is OK.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

For Destiny I am using a human bottle and teat. She wouldnt take the other teats.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I got the black teats. We will see how that goes in a few hours

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Take a really hot bucket of water out, after you milk the doe, pour the milk into a bottle and and place in your hot bucket of water. I have a small playmate cooler that I half fill with really hot water, then place a small bucket in that full of water. When I go to my other goat location (has no hot water) I milk the does, put the milk for the bottle buck kids in the hot water and everyone is happy to have hot milk!

20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I got Finley to suck with the new nipple, but i dont think he has realized that milk now comes from a bottle. I have to put the nipple in his mouth and let it drip for a bit then he starts to suck. I also had to cut one of the flaps of the X to make it come out easier. Briar sucked a little bit, then would freeze up and let it drain out of his mouth. We are making progress already! I will bring a hot pot of water out with me! Thanks goats rock!

Goats Rock likes this.