Young nanny loses horn

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dvfreelancer, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    This is a new one for me. One of our yearling nannies had dried blood on her head this am. One of her horns looked like it was pushed back and nearly broken off and had been bleeding from the base.

Her horns were never very attractive. They were always thin and a little misshapen but this is the first time I've seen any of ours in danger of completely losing one. I've seen it on deer, but not a goat.

So, I had to get the wife to a doctors appointment this am and wasn't sure what to do anyway. Do I pull it off since it's mainly broke and treat it with some blood stop and antibiotics? Or just let it fall off on its own? It's not bleeding actively and she's still on feed. It doesn't seem to bother her and I tend to err on the side of letting nature take its course unless they're in obvious distress. She's a tough one to catch. Avoids the grain feeder and catch pen. Really shy.

Other than humans, I've never seen a species that will run at each other so hard and so regularly. I was holding one of my nannies one day just to trim an edge off her hoof and one of the others comes over to start head butting her while I'm trying to work on her leg! I'm like, "Knock that s*** off!" They hook the young ones and toss them around like rag dolls, and sometimes draw blood on each other. No small task given the thick hide they have. They have lots of room and plenty to eat and still pop each other all the time. It's like a continuous episode of Sons of Anarchy.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It will likely drop off on it's own, just watch her for sign of distress. Since it's not bleeding profusely she'll be ok til it's hit again, then you'll likely see a good bit more blood especially if she decides to use her head again.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I know what you mean, mine are forever beating on each other. It's ALMOST enough to make me want to band all their horns! Brats.

They all stick together, with the exception of the new little buckling Ozzy, but you can tell poor old Cowbell and the smallest, Rudy, are bottom of the pole. They're forever getting a thumping from Hope or Snowflake.

4. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Observe and report. Roger that. I'll keep some blood stop on hand for the big day.

I guess it's just their nature but it's so funny to see this little herd of goats out in a great big field, plenty to eat for everyone, and one of the adults will walk over and head butt one of the smaller ones, just for the heck of it. Like a prison yard. If they had a toothbrush and razors they'd be shanking one another. :scratch:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For the most part, my herd of 6 does get along fine. It's normally only when I feed or just show any one of them attention that they start going at it....it's a "herd" thing, theres always going to be one or two that feels the need to continually protect their herd status.

:slapfloor:

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My herd queen is just as sweet as can be unless I give some other goat any attention. Then she has to punish the other goat for it. There is definitely a pecking order among the goats.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :slapfloor:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz....just keep an eye on it ...good luck ...... :hug:

LOL :ROFL:

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009

Oh My Gosh this just cracked me up!!! I have a little one who has part of her horn broken off. I'm sure it's because she got into it with one of the other goats. Feeding time is crazy around here and now with 25 goats it's scary. I'm surprised I haven't been knocked on my butt....came pretty close a few times. I've been to department store close out sales and feeding time at my place is kind of like that. Big rush, pushing and shoving....every goat for his own.

10. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Same story here. Feeding time reminds me of that one day every year that store in New York sells discounted wedding dresses. It's just nuts. Head butting, shoving, they climb on top of one another and there's a lot of hollering. The goats get kind of silly, too.

I'm thinking about trying to weld some of stall that would make them back out in order to bully one of the others (the goats, not the brides). Maybe if they can't see on either side they won't be so anxious to take a whack at one of the others. The round feeder helps a lot. The little ones sort of get butted around the circle, like teether ball. The only thing that bothers me is when the adults get their horns under one of the little ones and toss them up in the air.

Anyone got an idea or have a feeder that cuts down on the rough stuff? Fins? Gates? Anything? I remember back in Wisconsin, the cows never acted that way. They were creatures of habit. They all knew their spot and went straight to it, even if none of the other cows were around. Like a dance.

The picture is the other round feeder I pirated for parts. Was going to cut it up and make a smoker out of it, but they have such a good time playing on it I just decided to leave it out there. Out by the trees closer to the lake is where we're going to have our fire department bon fire. Funny story about the last one. We have an old oak tree that was rotting, half of it was dead. We were running some pump drills with a 2 1/2 hose line with the tanker at my house, I was running the pump. When I wasn't looking the team leader was blasting that tree with a straight stream. 225 gallons per minute of water under a lot of pressure. So much so it was blasting the bark off the trunk and knocking away chunks of rotted trunk. I was afraid they were going to knock it over. Anyway, we had our bonfire and I forgot about it. The next spring, the dead half of the tree starts blooming and growing leaves again! Healthy to this day. I thought that was hilarious.

Attached Files: