The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my Nubian doe Maybel is supposed to kid on 2/8. She was born dec 2013 so this will be her first pregnancy. This is my first year dealing with dairy breeds and she's a smaller/more petite than my big ol' boer girls (who start showing that they are preggers very easily and have no problem letting me know about it). Would she be showing any signs yet or am I just jumping the gun on this? I haven't had a doe yet that has only had one kid so idk what size to be looking for I guess haha.

I'm kind of worried that she's not bred for 2/8...as she's not visibly putting on more weight. About when do their udders start growing? I've never really paid attention with my other girls because they turn into tanks and clearly look bred.

All my other girls have been with a buck since 11/8 and she's been in there with them, so she may be bred for 4/7 like my other does...not the end of the world. I was just hoping to have her in milk before everyone else starts to kid. Going off of last year, I had more triplets than twins, and would have liked to have her for backup.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I've got a Saanen/Nubian cross due 2/18 that already has a handful sized udder. She has a bit of a belly, not huge but you can tell she is bred by looking at her. With your girl if she is only a month away she should be fairl puffy behind and should have some udder development.

·
Super Moderator
58,182 Posts
Can you post a picture of her back end with her tail up naturally and her lady parts showing along with udder?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't get a photo of her, the weather was nasty last night (still is) and they were in a big snuggly goat pile (almost wanted to join, 17 cuddly goats :hugs:) but just going off of what ptgoats45 said with udder development I don't think she is. She's not bagging up at all and looks almost the same as the about photos..... Will try and get some new photos asap.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
if she is still looking like the above pics (nice looking girl, by the way) I would doubt you are due early Feb. She could surprise you tho. I have said this on several threads but I have had one that NEVER showed any sign of being pregnant...nothing. :| Found her hovering over a tiny baby and didn't believe it was hers. She had no signs of having given birth either. :chin: Had another that looked like she had given birth so moved that one and the baby into the barn...no one was happy. :sad: Then another baby showed up. :confused: So I moved both does and both babies into the same pen in the barn. Mama's each took their own babies and everyone was much happier.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if she is still looking like the above pics (nice looking girl, by the way) I would doubt you are due early Feb. She could surprise you tho. I have said this on several threads but I have had one that NEVER showed any sign of being pregnant...nothing. :| Found her hovering over a tiny baby and didn't believe it was hers. She had no signs of having given birth either. :chin: Had another that looked like she had given birth so moved that one and the baby into the barn...no one was happy. :sad: Then another baby showed up. :confused: So I moved both does and both babies into the same pen in the barn. Mama's each took their own babies and everyone was much happier.
I guess I'll still get everything ready just in case. Hopefully I can get some pics tonight, it's a big warmer today so they might be a bit more active when I get home lol.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have a ff due feb.19th and she hasn't remotely started bagging up yet but I know e she's prego. She never came back not heat and she's got s bigger belly. I think she's just got a single though.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1420773332.125799.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1420773360.701938.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1420773385.456660.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1420773408.889053.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1420773444.496787.jpg not the greatest photos, it was still a bit cold for modeling. I did have to lift her tail up though.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Was she in heat recently ? Her tail looks as if she was…..
Im on the fence about this….not sure , but I'm leaning towards not bred. Love to hear what others say :)
She is a very pretty doe :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
She doesn't look bred to me. First timers always have to develop the entire udder, opposed to veteran does who already built their mammary tissue, so you start to see an udder earlier with them, and I'm not seeing it with her. Normally they will start building their udder 2 months before they kid, they'll start developing the mammary tissue, and by the time they have a month before kidding they will normally have an udder the size of a large grapefruit of so.
Her vulva is also "wrinkled", leading to think she isn't bred, as pregnant does will smooth out back there. She does look like she might have just been in heat.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Here is a doe that was due in about 3 weeks from the pic, and the 2nd is a doe due 2 months from the pic. The 2nd doe had a gunky tail from losing her mucus plug. 3rd pic is doe number 2 again, but a couple days before she kidded. So you can see, with pregnant does, the vulva smooths out.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is all very interesting. With dairy goats we were told they can only breed in during the rut. (Which seems true because my does only come in to hear near august and they have to be in heat.) another thing, if you breed a dairy goat and she comes back into standing heat she is not bred. It can be hard to tell though (my toggenburg was bred October 12 and has not un swilling flagging nothing but she has grown a ton.) all my does haven't come back into head. All due the same mid week in March. They have all grown. (Some a lot more than others) none have started an udder. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's amazing how different the dairy breeds work, I always forget that they have a season. I haven't seen her in heat at all since she's been here and I've had her since middle of October I think. She's been with the rest of my goat herd which have been exposed to the buck from beginning of November till last Saturday.

I'm actually kind of worried that she may not be bred at all because I've never seen her in heat (though I could have missed it, so used to my other does who give all the signs they are in heat). She is the lowest doe on the pecking order and the buck didn't really like her around..... though if she were in heat I think he would have loved her like the others (he would get a bit overexcited like that).

There was a night this fall around 11:00 or so that I looked out the window and all the girls and the buck were going at it, I just cant remember if I seen her in the mix or not since I had thought she was already bred.

Is there ever situations like that where a less dominate, shy(towards other goats), doe wouldn't get bred? She's the type of doe that seems to prefer my company, or the llamas, over the other girls....

Thanks for all the compliments on her!

·
Super Moderator
58,182 Posts
Yes it is definitely possible that she didn't get bred due to low in herd. Also possible that the buck didn't like her and didn't breed her.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope she was, a bit disappointing that she probably isn't bred for February as she was exposed to a nice registered buck. The buck I used for my other goats was a boer. Was hoping to be able to keep her daughter(s) for milking. Fingers crossed that she's at least bred, would still like to keep any of her daughters even if exposed to the boer buck. My Nubian/boer does are by far my favorite girls.

Nubians typically come into heat in the aug/sept time right? She was exposed to the breeders buck on 9/11.

I know my other Nubian doe is bred (or really confident she is), the buck absolutely adored her. So I will hopefully still get to start milking...eventually lol. Another couple months to wait, argh!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Sometimes they have a silent heat , you may not have noticed it and she might be running like heck from the buck not allowing him to do his job ;) I have a doe here that wouldnt have gotten pregnant , i think , if i didn't hold her steady for him. Just a thought. If possible , count the days between her heats and put her and him in a separate pen , maybe she wants to be wined and dined first , lolol… Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a buck right now, so she's going to have to wait till this fall, as I was renting the buck. Going to invest in my own this year though, to much risk with renting.

·
8,066 Posts
She may surprise you. It only takes once and that is a quick few seconds! Keeping fingers crossed that she is bred for you!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts