The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our two Pygmy does about 4 weeks. They are 13 weeks old. Razzle got diarrhea about 10 days after arrival and get very thin quickly. We treated with several pepto doses and then a course of sulfamethoxazole-TMP, and gave her a shot of B1. Stool came back later positive for coccidia but vet felt it was a combo of that and stress of weaning and moving and eating chicken feed, which she had broken into briefly several times. She's been doing great for about 10 days now, and we secured the chicken area successfully. Until today!!!! Argh!!! My son, who has special needs, apparently didn't latch the main chicken fence and we came home to find it open!!!! Dazzle was eating her hay BUT we can't believe she didn't eat chicken feed. It doesn't look like much chicken feed is missing, though. What should we do? Wait and see if she / both of them get sick? Or do something preventative? Thanks all. (On my phone I can only see the first few lines I am typing, so apologies for crazy typos if any!)

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
You can give her a dose of probios and if she does start the runs give her some pepto. But unless she is showing signs of distress I wouldnt be to concerned. Obviously not the best for her though.

Was the chicken feed medicated?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chicken feed is not medicated, but it might have been when she first got into it. I forget exactly when we switched to the non medicated chicken feed. Also, we did worm both goats soon after the diarrhea started, but only a 1/2 dose for the one with diarrhea, Razzle. Dazzle hasn't been sick at all. (My phone keeps trying to name them both Dazzle!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts