Young wether off feed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Good morning !

Karl is off his feed as if last night ; he's 6 months old and generally gets a cup in the am and a cup in the pm of high protein goat feed. He's my special guy with the neurological issues that was really underweight so weve been giving him extra to keep him progressing . He wasn't interested at all last night or this morning .

I checked his Famacha and it's great (1), I'll do a fecal later today to make sure he doesn't have a high worm load.... Checked his temp and it was 101.6 last night. He doesn't appear to be bloated .

The good news is... He has plenty of appetite for greens and hay.

Any thoughts ? I thought I'd give him some b complex to help stimulate his appetite.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Is he drinking and peeing?

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Keep a close eye on his temp. Its low end of normal and can go down quickly. Def give b complex and some probiotics. If no progress on appetite add room temperature dark beer. Make sure he's peeing well

4. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I just did a recheck of temp and it was 102.4 so looking good there.

I gave him some electrolytes and he drank those up .

Pee check... We did a pee watch and I think we missed it during shift change. My husband went out to relieve me and said there was a wet spot directly under him so he's pretty sure he peed
    . I'll keep an eye on that. He isn't hunched or acting uncomfortable which makes me feel a bit better about that.

I did do a fecal and coccidia was a bit high... 2499 FEC so maybe that's the culprit. Im starting corid since I've had good luck with that! Parasite levels looked good, 250 FEC.

In the event he isn't peeing and my vet isn't available ... Dear lord, what do I do? I hope that isn't the case because he gets a teaspoon of ammonium chloride every time he gets grain, and the grain has some in it as well.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’d go ahead and give some dark beer, 4oz room temp only.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If hes not peeing well then you will need to do AC in at correction dosing. Its good you have that on hand.
    Instructions per Tennessee meat goats
    Mix the following in 20 cc water and orally drench: One (1) teaspoon Ammonium chloride per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for 2 days, then 1/2 tsp per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for the next 3 days, then 1/2 tsp once a day for 3 days, then 1/4 tsp daily as a preventative. Dosages are based upon 75 lb liveweights.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I recommend putting it in cranberry juice or carrot juice as opposed to water if possible.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Listen to his lungs, is he congested? Have you changed feeds lately. We have problems occasionally when the feed mill gets new grain in and the goats can tell the difference. Especially if they change molasses or oil. When 150 does suddenly refuse grain- I know the mill messed up.

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    How is Karl? Is back to eating? One thing about a dark beer drench...its beer..it works his kidneys also. It helps the rumen, and helps calm the stress level. I like doing a dark beer drench..then the next day probios. And I put electrolytes in the water. That just helps the rumen, kidneys, bladder, and Cleans all those male tubes. Hope he is better. Take care.

TCOLVIN, toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  10. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    H
    Hey, good morning/afternoon!

Karl is doing great. That night I was checking out the pasture and he took a nice long pee right next to me , praise jesus so excited! He also ate his dinner and has eaten his breakfast/dinner ever since then. I'm wondering if maybe his coccidia was just causing some issues.... on day 4 of corid and hes doing great.

Thanks so much everyone.

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    So glad Karl is better. Good job on fast action.

12. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks =) I was sooo worried that it was UC after you guys mentioned that. He's so precious to me that I'd be just devastated if I lost him to something like that.

13. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I'm glad your baby is doing better. Also glad for the post because I've learned alot just reading along lol.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for telling us all about Karl. Thats how we learn and help each other. So glad he is better.