The Goat Spot Forum banner

How many members take both goats and dog(s) on

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
We go on daily hikes with the goats and dogs (Vizsla and Aussie). The goats don't want to go on the rare occassion the dogs are not with us. They seem to appreciate that the dogs will warn them of "danger".
Denise
Magic Bean Farm

·
Registered
286 Posts
We have an Australian Cattle Dog (AKA blue heeler) that we adopted from the pound. She is a great watchdog, but I wish I were smart enough to train her to run out and gather the goats and bring them to me. She would love to do it, but I don't know how to teach her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As most of you have experienced, we are a major attraction as we stroll down the trail (even the rangers take pictures and ask "are those goats!"). Here is the line up---husband, the 3 boys (Poncho,Romeo,and Buckwheat), the Rhodesian ridgeback, the schnauzer cross, then me. And we MUST keep in that order to make everybody happy. If the dogs try to butt up in line, the boys give them "the warning". It is so much fun!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I were smart enough to train her to run out and gather the goats and bring them to me. She would love to do it, but I don't know how to teach her.
Best if you don't start it. The goats then would be uncomfortable with the blue heeler on the trail. Better to train the goats to come when called. I had blue heeler that I taught (should say allowed) to go get the cow. It came at a dead run. Needless to say. Not too much milk that day. LOL
Had to break the dog from chaseing the cow then.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ryorkies said:
I wish I were smart enough to train her to run out and gather the goats and bring them to me. She would love to do it, but I don't know how to teach her.
Best if you don't start it. The goats then would be uncomfortable with the blue heeler on the trail. Better to train the goats to come when called. I had blue heeler that I taught (should say allowed) to go get the cow. It came at a dead run. Needless to say. Not too much milk that day. LOL
Had to break the dog from chaseing the cow then.
Good point. She already hassles them when I first let them out of their pen. Also, when we are out and about she will hassle them if they stray too far or get scattered. She doesn't know how to actually herd them up and make them go somewhere, she just bugs them. Sometimes I have to tell her to stop it, and she does. What I really like about her is that she stays close, pays attention to me, and lets me know if anything or anybody comes around. Those must have been traits that were bred into these dogs. They were supposed to stay with their cowboy, not wander off after other people or animals, pay attention to their cows and their cowboy and to anything that might be a threat, and be tough enough to keep up with a cowboy on horseback in rough country. She isn't big enough (only 35 lb) to tangle with predators or other dogs, but that's not her job. She just lets me know if anything comes around and then I can deal with it. And when she barks, which she only does if there is a reason, the goats gather around me. She is the perfect hiking and goat guardian dog for us.

·
299 Posts
I used to hike with the goats and my great dane, but she gets a bit protective of "her" goats when it comes to other dogs. Just too much hassle to have to track her and the goats. She has never really bit another dog who gets frisky around the goats, but because of her size she sounds really vicious. Kudjo sounding really. It scares the other dog owners.
NO DOGS for me now-a-days.

·
Banned
849 Posts
I always had a dog growing up and so did Phil, but we weren't allowed to have a dog in our apartment (Phil and I barely fit in that tiny place!). But then he discovered goats at the county fair and fell in love. He turned to me and said, as we watched a goat tear down and happily devour it's first-place ribbon, "Nan, I'm not sure I really like dogs. But I think I like goats. Goats are funny. We should get a goat."

So, a couple of years later we got a goat to live with my horses, and he became such a pet that I've never felt the desire to have a dog again. I predict many more goats in our future. But dogs? Not sure about that.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Ashley, That is amazing I have rarely seen other pudelpointers much less one that runs with goats. Henna has been with her 3 obers most of her life. On hikes she is always looking for birds but checks in frequently on the her pack of goats. They are intelligent dogs. She often tries to engage the goats in play. Her speed and high energy is a bit much for them but they will watch her play.
IdahoNancy

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
My daughter's dog goes with us and stays far enough ahead not to bother anyone. He is bred to be like the original Indian dogs. His behavior is more like a coyote than a wolf.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob Jones said:
My daughter's dog goes with us and stays far enough ahead not to bother anyone. He is bred to be like the original Indian dogs. His behavior is more like a coyote than a wolf.
The indian dogs are pretty cool. I had an opportunity to have one once.
But as always seems to be the case with me.
I already have two too many dogs.
I have 5 now. Well 4 are yorkies. Do those count as whole dogs?

·
113 Posts
We hike with two dogs: a Red Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) and a Scottish Terrier.

The Heeler is a good watch dog and the goats aren't bothered by her at all, although they seem to have a "comfort zone" of about 2 feet and will butt her away if she gets too close. They goats definitely show the dog who's the boss!

The Scotty, despite her short legs, has amazing endurance and has no trouble keeping up with us on our hikes. Interestingly - and unlike with the Healer - the goats completely ignore her. She walks under their bellies or right on their heels and they don't seem to take any notice of her.

Ken

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it's just us going hiking, we take my dog. She is a long hair German Shepherd. It seems a lot of people are scared of German Shepherds, so we don't take her when other people go with us. She is excellent with goats and the only mean bone in her body is her tail when she whacks you with it, :lol:
[attachment=1:rsfztnhy]DSCN1335.JPG[/attachment:rsfztnhy]
[attachment=0:rsfztnhy]DSCN0614.JPG[/attachment:rsfztnhy]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts