The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an interesting phone call from a friend yesterday. He started out with, "I don't know quite how to say this, but I think your goat murdered my goat." I called him a racist. He was suggesting my black doe killed his white buck. We both got a good laugh out of that.

Now for the rest of the story... A couple of weeks ago he called to tell me to bring my Nubian doe over, because his Boer buck was in rut. He figured if my doe was around his buck while in rut, she might come into heat and breed. After a week, he called again to say as far as he could tell, she had not said yes yet, but he'd keep trying. Yesterday morning, he found his buck dead with no visible signs of trauma, no bloat, no apparent cause. We agreed it was likely heat stroke, because the buck had been chasing the ladies non-stop for over two weeks.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Hmmmmm.... Maybe she did.... did you look deep into her eyes and ask her?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Yes, they can. That's why if I do any breedings when it is hot they are all hand breedings and the buck is only allowed to breed the doe a couple times so he doesn't get too hot.

Just as an FYI: heat stress in bucks can cause short term infertility, so keeping those boys cool during the summer is very important.

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is funny. But poor buck. Here it's been so wet in just 2-3 days the barber pole worms are killing goats
No wet here for a month or so. Just hot and dry. Actually the first week of July was cool (for here) with highs in the 80s and lows around 60. That may have been what triggered his rut.

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmm.... Maybe she did.... did you look deep into her eyes and ask her?
It wouldn't help. She's a sociopath and can lie without batting an eye.

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
this may sound really ignorant but how do I keep them cool? I work all day and have been making sure that they have plenty of water but honestly it probably is warm by the late morning.I have a Nigerian and a Nubian buck running with a bunch of girls and they just keep chasing them in circles.after a while they all stop and rest and lay down for the afternoon.they have shade they have shelter and they have water ,I don't know what else is possible, but one of the boys is borrowed so I definitely don't need him keeling over! if I separate them from the does and hand breed then the does are basically dry lotted and don't have access to the pasture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts