Your input - prolapsed rectum

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Nov 30, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Dynamo, my little 3 mth old Boer weaner, has had persistent scours for a few days now. He cries and strains when he goes, it is sort of yellow to brown and really running. He is still eating happily but a new development last night, he is prolapsing his rectum, when he sits down, when he stands up it goes back in place.

Any ideas? I have been treating the scours with Scourban, D-Scour and Triprim antibiotic. I am thinking it is time for the vet with the prolapse and all, its just that my vet bill is so high because of vanity I really was hoping I'd be able to treat him at home.

Also another question - with kids that have been this sick - have you found that they grow out the same as the others, or does the setback stay with them for life? Reason I ask is, he is the only Boer buck kid that I kept intact this kidding, and he was going to be shown. I'm just now wondering if he is gonna grow well enough, or whether he will be ... a wether.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh dear I have no idea how else to treat him except if you havent tried for ecoli.

As to the growth -- they usually catch up but it takes longer then an average kid.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    cocci comes to mind ...do you have corid? corid stops scours really quick
    his prolapse may be caused by his scouring.....?
    use Preparation H to take down selling and irritation 3x a day or
    hemorrhoid ointment into the rectum or a half gel suppository.

He may be stunted if the scouring goes on to long....

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I was wondering myself about cocci, but the thing is I am feeding a medicated feed with a coccidiostat in it ... its for calves but I'm thinking its just not doing the job for the goats ... and the thing is I dont know whether it is safe to give another form of cocci treatment along with it.

Stacey - I think? that Triprim should have got ecoli if thats what it was.

Hmmmm ...

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You know ....I think that the dosage in that stuff you are using ...may not be strong enough .....I would try to use corid anyway ...or something that will take care of cocci......
    I have found that even if my goats are scouring bright green poo ...that doesn't really look like cocci....I treat them with corid ..it stops it real quick...this is for the goats that I try the basic things on..... like pepto ect. and the scours just won't stop....... well corid stops it by the next day.....

If you are going to take him to the vet later....then I don't know if you should start him on anything.....the vet will want to test his messy stool...

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is your little guy doing ? :worried:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok wasnt sure if any of the meds treated for that.

As to your feed having cocci meds in it -- most feeds have a prevenative in it and youhave to give a certain amount per pound (not sure what it would be per in your measurement) to be effective. They can still get cocci when on it but that would be more rare.

to treat for cocci you will need a separate kind of medication. Albon, Sulmet or Corid are the choices we have here.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Spoke to the vet yesterday. I am collecting faecal samples from some of the others (not the guy with the prolapse because I've been treating him) and taking them in today.

Thing is, I have had an on-off scour for probably the last 4 to 6 weeks, and probably 90% of the kids have had it. Not bad because they resolve themselves, and they dont get crook with it, until this one. But there is obviously a problem somewhere, and a friend has got the same problem.

We (vet, friend and I) are thinking coccidiosis and thinking that the Bovatec (coccidiostat) in the feed is not in a high enough dose for goats. But, we want to do the tests first to confirm it, rule out viral causes nasties like cryptosporidium and so on. Then we will try and figure out a strategy, because this is getting to be a serious problem.

The buck kid in question, I think is improving slightly. He doesnt seem as messy this morning and not prolapsing as much. Vet suggested just continue with everything. I hate giving him the injection - I've never seen an animal scream so much after an injection - and I am using an antibiotic that doesnt hurt as much as my normal one. But as soon as I start pushing it in, he screams and screams for up to five minutes after it is over. :( Poor boy.

Will let you know how it goes.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah it is hard to give them what they need especially when you know it hurts and they let you know it as well :(

Hope you can get a diagnosis

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's interesting. I just read an article in the NPGA magazine about a gal with a pygmy goat that would not grow. He was 3 months old and only 4.5 lbs. Very tiny guy and not so healthy. Anyways, he was treated for everything, cocci included. She didn't know what to do so just took him to the vet and they ran a fecal while in there. He was overloaded with cocci. Their vet said that these cocci prevention programs work for about 95% of goats but there is that 5% that do not respond to treatment as well. Anyways, just thought that was interesting.

If all your babies get it then I would think it's because the medicated feed isn't strong enough or they are not getting enough of it but I don't really know. :shrug: The fecals will definitely let you know for sure.

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I do hope those fecals can give you some answers so you can get this resolved. I bet that poor boys behind is so sore, OUCH. :tears:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :GAAH:

Would you believe no one is scouring today to take the faecals??

13. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Isn't that how it always goes... :roll:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    no one is scouring to test .... what in the world.....how weird is that......
    they are being poopy stubborn.... :(

As for the shots .....with kids.... I find that they start screaming before I even stick them....I have to tell them .."I haven't even put in into your skin yet.... :shrug: .....I think it is all an act....LOL :) :shades:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ah, man toth I can deal with that sort of screaming.

This little guy is so friendly (and yet, he's not bottle raised or anything, just reckons I'm his friend :) ) he runs over to me, and he doesnt mind at all when I hold him still, he doesnt complain when I stab him (and it's IM, so it hurts) but its when I start pushing the antibiotic into the muscle, oh man he screams and screams and not just that spoilt goat scream, a real painful scream, and it goes on for minutes and minutes after I'm done. Like it really really hurts him but Triprim is not supposed to be irritant, not like TetraVet (the one I normally use, I know that one hurts them). Poor boy. I do know how to make him better and stop him screaming, he likes to bite down on my thumb, but :shocked: that hurts!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    holly molly ouch they can really bite down....eye for an eye...I see how it is LOL...pain for pain.... :shocked: He probably is doing it for attention>>>LOL ....just kidding... :cool:

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    The medication in the feed isn't strong enough for young kids...they just can't eat enough of it. I'd be treating him for cocci with Sulmet, or Albon.

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    toth, I do give him a big cuddle when he cries ... maybe thats it :wink: Funny though just a few weeks ago he would run away quick as lightening if I even looked at him, now he enjoys the cuddles lol

FG ... you ought to see how much feed these babies can get through :shocked: trust me its not a problem with their intake lol they are eating me out of house and home ... part of the reason my feed bill is soooo ^^^^ high. I just think that the level which is needed for calf protection isnt good enough for kid protection.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    See that's it..... :thumbup: ........he loves the cuddles...I knew it....LOL :) :ROFL:
    he's a smart little booger.....

20. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Exactly :)