Your opinion on free leasing?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Feb 9, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm considering free leasing a herd of saanens.

Just wondered what your opinions are?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    What? No details? Free always sounds good too me...well...there is the CAE,CL,Johnes, thing of course...hope they've been tested. And of course, you still have to feed them, so that's not free, and then the vet bills, those aren't free either. Boo Hoo, no such thing as free when we're talking about goats. :help:

So, where are they, how many, are they bred? Will you get to keep the kids? Hope it works out...good luck!

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what's free leasing?

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am thinking that would be a neat thing, if they are tested clean animals. I am thinking you would be keeping the kids or be able to sell them yourself, to make a little money, right? I thought that was how it worked. . . .

5. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Washington!
    like, when you lease out something, but its free? like- your going to school for example, and you can't take care of your animal..you free lease it to someone...make any sense?

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry, I should explain more. I first heard of free leasing on these boards so I figured it was common practice in US.

So basically, I would take the does (there are 8 adult does and 4 kids/goatlings I think) and one buck, most are pregnant, a couple are not, I get to keep/sell the kids and the milk, at the end of two years the current owner will re-evaluate her situation and may decide to take the does back or extend the lease.

But I'm wondering about the details, like what happens if one of the does dies while in my care?

They are neg. for Johnes and CAE

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think those individual things are decided between you too.

I would believe that vet care is your responsibility. As to the death of an animal, I would say you are liable to replace the goat if you were neglagent but if it was natural causes or you did all you could (vet out etc) to save the goat then you are not liable to replace the goat.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so it'd be like your borrowing and keeping the profits/ and keeping health care of the animals...right? sounds like a good deal

9. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'd say it's like this, someone needs someone to take care of their animals. You take of care of them in return you get some of them.

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Basically. Usually 'Free' leasing means that all expenses are paid for, you just have to do the work and out the time in. For example, someone is too busy to ride/take care of a horse, they will free lease it to someone so the horse isn't neglected.
    Or other times you get to keep the produce/babies/etc out of the animals, but have to pay for feed, just depends on the agreements..

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have leased out my entire herd to some people, becuase i needed a new car and well frankly after twelve years of not being able to go on family trips and having to race home after work and school to feed the goats before i went out with my friends or whatever, i decided that i wanted a little bit of a life. I miss my herd dearly but i do enjoy being able to drop and not have to worry about anything thats holding me back. I know they are ata great home to.
    I will tell you some of the details we worked out later but i have to jet to work right now.
    beth

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Ok what i have going on is a care lease. I think its kind of similar to what youre thinking about doing. I had someone take my herd, they pay all of the expenses, feeding and whatnot. I still have rights as to what does get bred to what bucks, as i supplied two young bucks as well. We discuss breedings, some of my does have been bred to her bucks, some of her does were bred to my bucks.
    She pays to feed the animals, but she also gets profits from the kids. The kids have both my and her herdname on them. They can also show the abnimals under my her herdname.
    Vet bills are taken care of by the leaser, we have agreed that she will call if its a life or death situation and i have the final word on whether or not the animal will be put down. (if it comes down to that) We discuss what kids are to be sold/kept and what bucks will be whethered.
    Here in the U.S. ADGA has a lease printout that has the animals name and registered numbered, that we each have a copy of. She has all of the animals papers, but they were not signed over to her. ADGA also has a copy of the lease forms.
    Hope this helps a bit
    beth