Your Preferred Method of Castration

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by MellonFriend, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Elastrator (Banding)

73.3%
  2. Burdizzo (Emasculator)

26.7%
  3. Knife

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

We plan to have our doe Bella kid sometime this fall and if she has bucks we will probably decide to wether them. What is your preferred method of castration and why? :)

Canadian Goat Mom likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I band. I can do it. Cheaper cost. They don't seem to be bothered by it after initially putting it on. I do give a shot of Banamine about a half-hour prior to banding.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I think that banding is the most controlled method. Surgical castration sets you up for infection, and the burdizzo has a lower success rate (some wethers stay bucks, LOL!)

(woo)

Goataddict and happybleats like this.
  5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Banding for sure. All the reasons above and I can offer it as a service to other goat breeders and make some extra cash

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Burdizzo - a few seconds of crush and you're done. I have my vet do it. Bloodless and no worries about open wounds, improper banding, etc. Ive been doing this for many years and never one that wasn't wethered properly.

SalteyLove likes this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Burdizzo. We actually use the small side crusher and it’s easy to use. There are no open wounds so no risk of fly strike. The kids are walking mostly normal within a few hours. We also know it’s done so the buyer can’t take the band off and keep an intended wether intact.

Last year was our first year doing it. I asked all the buyers to let me know if any failed and we’d be happy to redo them. I didn’t hear back from any that there were any failures.

HMNS likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Banding. Same reasons listed above.

9. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    That wouldn't work even if the buyers did take the band off. The testicles are useless after 24/36 hours which should be the hold period after castration anyways. So if the buyer did take the band off wouldn't work

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Some people band right before sending to a new home.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    IMO I believe you should wait a couple of days to guarantee you did a good job and there are no negative reactions.

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Oh yeah I totally agree, just saying not everyone does.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. MellonFriend

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I had been leaning toward the burdizzo, but I think banding seems like less risk. Is one method more or less painful for them than the other?

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well, I think they probably come with the same amount of pain, just distributed differently. That initial crunch ain’t gonna feel good, probably a lot worse than the initial band. But movement with a band may be a duller pain for a little while, and the burdizzo may not have much pain at all after the initial intense pain. I still believe that duller pain even if it lasts a little bit longer is better and less traumatic.

toth boer goats and Goatzrule like this.
  15. Panther Creek Boer Goats

Panther Creek Boer Goats New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Missouri
    I prefer banding. It's the simplest and least time consuming.

16. MellonFriend

Well I'll probably go banding then. That was my original thought way back when. I think I'll do a bit more research on my own, but that's probably the route I will take.

Thanks again everyone! (highfive)

17. Goats R Us

Goats R Us New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Banding is quick and easy. Anyone can do it. No need to call a vet. Just make sure you get both testicles below the band.

MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    A lot of people band at night. That way you don't hear the pitiful crying and watching the kid be uncomfortable. (What a stupid word, ask a goat, it hurts, there is no "uncomfortable" about it!) Anyway, I have found that a shot of Banamime before the banding, band, then make him walk a lot. It increases blood flow and the banded area numbs faster, then they don't hurt as much or for as long. Once they are numb, the little guy is fine. (Always make sure no hairs or teats are in the band and the skin isn't too wrinkled or twisted.) And of course, once the band is on, you cannot remove it. (Which you probably are aware of)

I've banded hundreds of kids (and hate doing it every single time) and the exercise seems the quickest route to less pain.

But, like everything with goats, it is your personal preference and what works for me may not for someone else.

MellonFriend and HMNS like this.
  19. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    I went with banding on a 5 month old Buckling I bought and wethered him. Two bands were placed Bynum my Vet. He was given freezing, antibiotics and pain relief meds. He did fantastic. June 2nd he was banded and still waiting for the shrivelled dingle dangles to fall off.

20. We band. Just easier and cheaper for us and you can tell it's good as they fall off. We've never had issues.