The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if you put your goats in a barn at night or not and if so, how early in the morning you put your goats outside? I don't have a live guard dog so I put the goats in an enclosed room in the barn which is the size of two horse stalls. I typically don't like to let them out before its light out and I typically put them inside as soon as its getting dark.

I know I have many friends who have lost chickens to foxes in the dusk hours of the morning and am wondering if I should worry about my goats. They are in horse wire fencing and currently behind my house. The only time I've had deer or foxes get in was when I left the gate open at night and that has been rare.

Just wondering if I should be worried. I will be moving the goats soon to a pen closer to the woods though and when that happens I think it will be closer to the timeframe of when the time changes so hoping its light out around 6 am when I have to do chores. I'll be needing their paddock for the horses around that time so need to make the switch in the next month or so before it gets really cold out...

Curious what your routines are with feeding, barn situation and when they are outside or in, etc...

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I use Electrified Sheep Netting all year round; from about the middle or May to mid October they are outside with a small trailer for shelter. I have not had any predator problems using it. They have bush for food all summer, with some hay. But try getting a Electric Fencer if worried about predators. Even our chickens are not bothered by ground animals!

·
624 Posts
I used to put mine away just because they would choose to stay out all night rather than go into the barn. After locking them up all last winter they started going in by themselves. I would lock them up after dark, around 8, and let them out when I milked the next morning, at 6:30. We have coyotes and foxes in the area but none have been seen around our pen. We have three dogs that do a good job at keeping things away and we have an electric fence.

If it were me I would lock them up at night if they were near woods and you knew there were predators, especially if you don't have a guard dog. I wouldn't think a fox would kill a goat, though. We've had foxes come around our goats and they never offered to do anything to them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't seen any coyotes near me...just one fox and he has not bothered with the goats. Did have a bear stroll through the property last spring, but I think they just come around every once in a blue moon because of the creek.

I just worry since now I'm leaving for work earlier and its dark out. Hopefully the time change will fix that issue though and it will be light out again around 6ish?

Definitely am keeping them in... maybe when I move them closer to the woods I'll put a strand of hot wire around the wire fence to make sure noone will touch it...

call me paranoid!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I let mine in at dark and let them out a little after first light.

I don't leave mine out at night because there's no telling what could happen at night. If I had some LDGs I would give them the option of going out or staying inside

·
14,760 Posts
Hmmm depending on where you are, I don't think it will be very light out at 6am.
Are your goats brave enough to leave the barn area that early? Ours won't even think about it until light gets good lol

We don't have to lock ours in the barn, they go in when it gets dark. They are still in at 7am when the kids go to school, and by about 7:30am or so, some start to wonder back to the outside hay feeder. An hour later they start to venture into the woods.
They are never in the woods after 5pm.

The only ones who get locked in the barn are 2 young does. We have a buck in with our adult does, and don't want the youngest doe getting bred, she's way too little, so they go into a pen next to the house during the day, and when weather is nasty they go into a stall at night.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have a dog to protect them? My goats go outside because I take them out on a leash. I only have 3 so they just go with me. and then they are locked in. my dogs are usually outside wiht me then so if there is anything around like deer, they will bark... and sometimes they just bark. I usually go inside to change into work clothes by 630 and leave by 640... so the dogs are out till 630. Basically I am hoping that nothing would think of coming near the place wiht me so recently being outside and the dogs being out... but there is about a half hour or sometimes more where its dark out :-( so I'm just worried.... they are in a horse wire fenced paddock that is 4 ft tall all around though and are probably fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm in the military so I open up their pen before PT or my husband will let them out at about 0700. I usually get home get home about 1800 or 1900 and put them back up. I live in a subdivision withe really big lots though. I had considered getting a donkey to help protect them when I PCS to Ft Campbell in a few months.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
We have fox, coyote, a mountain lion and did have a bobcat strolling thru at one time. My goats are ALWAYS out. They have a 3 sided shelter they can get in when it's bad weather. I don't have a guard dog or any other guard animals in with them. I do have 2 burros that stay in the pasture with the horses....but the goats are in a separate pen. Never lost a goat to predators YET. Lost chickens, ducks, cats, etc...but never a goat (I have both minis and full size goats) I don't worry about it. My minis kid in the pasture in the spring also....

·
1,524 Posts
My goats are in a run in type of thing. They have a large inside stall in the barn with a door I can keep open. During the decent weather, it is open 24/7. When I am away from home, it is open. In the cold winter, I will keep it closed over night when I am home and during early spring kidding season I will keep it closed if it looks like one will deliver.

After an arsonist killed my herd, I am absolutely pertified of leaving my animals locked inside unless I am home.

I used to put mine out first thing in the morning, after milking and bring them in at evening milking. The time varied with my work schedule.

I have fox, coyote, Bobcat and bear in the area, plus domestic dogs who run loose. So far nothing has bothered the goats, but have caused problems for the chickens. At my place, the most deadly predator is human.

I use livestock panels and pallets for fencing with a string of electric fence along the top and 2 inside the goat pen. One strand is at adult goat nose level and the other is at baby goat nose level.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, our 2 nigerian dwarf goats are put in the barn at night and locked up. I give them fresh hay about 9am and let them and the chickens out after I finish with morning errands around noon (I'm a stay at home mom). Being new to goats, I don't feel quite comfortable leaving them out when I'm not home so they stay in their horse stall when I'm gone. When I'm home, they're out.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I have pens made with galvanized goat panels... my goats have the choice of going inside their sheds or not.
My 2 milking does and 8 month old doeling are locked in an inside area due to it being easier to feed and milk in the early mornings.

Pasture gates are closed at night.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
My goats have a section of the barn that leads out to an outdoor pasture. It's not huge, but large enough to run around in and sleep if they want :) we have electrified wires in separate posts running around the outside of the pen. This keeps critters out, but the goats don't get zapped whenever they jump on the fence to see me ;)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I've never had it set with a temperature, I just close their door to outside more (it's a sliding door) if its extra cold or windy. Goats are really hardy creatures, they'll be gin as long as they have somewhere draft-free to go

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't know that it can get too cold if management is right. I do not have the option of shutting my goats in a barn, nor would I even if I did. I learned a long time ago that the quickest way to turn a healthy animal into a sick animal is to shut them up in a barn. Another reason I would not shut them in is that they need to be out in the 'real' world in order to know when to grow a winter coat. I bed my shelters about fetlock deep - deeper if it looks like it's going to be a bad storm - feed grass/alfalfa hay because the grass helps keep them warmer due to the fact that it's harder to digest, thus produces more heat. If the weather keeps them in their shelter for more than 24 hours, I sprinkle barn lime or PDZ pretty heavy to control the ammonia and add more bedding if possible. Goats are very hardy animals. All they need is proper management to make it through the winter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine put themselves away at dusk in the chicken yard right next to the garage (its under our back porch ramp so is covered, enclosed in 3 sides and comfy)-- however we are fixing up a back pen that is close to neighbors tree line and we do have all the predators..... so its a work in progress.... not sure how that will work out (we do have big barky dogs though)....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts