The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
14,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sitting here trying to figure out how we'll do things with my kids first big show of the year this coming weekend. They are taking their market wethers and breeding does - 10 goats to show, and 1 mama accompanying her babies.

Got me thinking... what is everyone's show routine?

Last year wasn't too bad, 5 goats, we would get up and wash them about 2 hours before we planned to leave so that they were dry by the time they got on the trailer.

But with so many this year....

I'm thinking we'll wash their colored goats, and 6 week old kids the night before, and was the rest the morning of the show, since we have to leave at 8am.

My goal is...not to have to wash goats at the shows lol I have enough of a time keeping up with my 3 human kids, it's a lot of work keeping up with their goats too :laugh: Plus we usually end up getting just as much of a bath as the goats do...and changing in porta-potties are not ideal if it can be avoided :laugh:

I usually get up 30 minutes before my kids, make sandwiches and pack the cooler/snacks/fruit, and get everything together so it's by the door. Once the goats are washed, they are tied on the fenceline with hay/water, and while one of my kids watched them, the other is changing/getting ready. It's worked for us in the past.

We load up the SUV, then load up the goats, and off we go...I try to get there 1-3 hours before a show, because some of the shows they want to go to, if you don't get there early, it's hard to get a pen.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I usually wash the day of or before at home. Have all my stuff packed and in the car the night before. Pack the cooler, goat stuff and extras that morning and.load them. I change at show and usually arrive at an hour before weigh in. After getting pens/unloaded and weighin in I wait for the 15 to go warning and then get my showmanship goat ready. Do showmanship wait till 2-4 classes, depending on how fast the judge, to get them cleaned up for market.

·
Registered
114 Posts
buy your kids coveralls!! That way when they change into their show clothes, they can put on the coveralls until showtime. Their show clothes will stay clean. Remember to buy the coveralls a bit large so they fit over the clothes and are easy to get off. If they are too long, run an elastic band around the leg so they arent dragging in the dirt/wet. Just don't make the elastic too tight so that they don't have to remove their shoes to get the coveralls off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts