Your thoughts pleased, I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elchivito, Apr 30, 2010.

1. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Hi all,
    I wrote in another thread about my Mini Toggenburg first freshener who kidded five babies and came down very sick the following day. Maybe I'm borrowing trouble here, I've been known to do that on more than one occasion, but I'd like your opinions.
    My little girl is hanging in there. She ran 105 degree temps for over a week, while being treated with Naxcel and Baytril and being hand fed and watered. Very congested udder, which I'd expect from the fever. Babies put on bottles, but two of them continue to nurse. After a week of little change and consult with the vet, we changed the Baytril to BioMycin and she began to improve. Temp dropped to 102 or so and she started to eat better and pay attention to her babies. I dropped the Naxcel three days ago, and continued the BioMycin till tuesday this week, then stopped. After a day, she spiked her temp to 103 or 103.5 but did not change behavior or seem sick. I sometimes obsess about fever.
    Now, she seems to be getting better. Ears are erect, she's chewing cuds and tending her babies and hungry for her grain. She doesn't seem to want to spend a lot of time on her feet, as if she's in some pain. She'll walk her babies out into the pasture and then lay down, only getting up when they pester her to nurse. She wants hay, wants grain, wants her favorite tree treats. Behaviorally, she seems to be making little strides each day feeling better. She's had an ultrasound, the vet said he saw nothing unusual in her uterus other than a lot of fluid, which she expelled in the first few days. Not fresh blood. Chocolatey looking pudding consistency which seemed heavy, but she was also laying down a lot so it may have just looked like a lot since she'd smeared it all over her bum. She's stopped that now,no discharge. When I look at her, I feel like she's slowly getting better, digging herself out of this hole she got into, but this little spike in her temp has me really spooked. I know there are people who don't bat an eye at any temp under 104 but when I first changed her to the BioMycin she dropped to 102.5 until I stopped the antibiotics. I put her back on Naxcel and BioMycin this morning. Tonight she is alert, snuggled up with her babies and nosing thru her hay and chewing cud. I kind of feel like that infection is suppressed but not gone. I'd really like to see her temp go to 102 or so and stay there. We are in the middle of a fair and have goats at the fair and goats at home and I'm spread pretty thin till Sunday, I'm going to call the vet and see what he says tomorrow, friday. I don't think she had a torn uterus, as two judge/breeders I talked to today told me that a uterine tear would have bled out internally and I'd have lost her by now. It's been three weeks Sunday since she kidded. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I think your girl was so so sick, its going to take her a while to get back on her feet. Everything sounds good, and honestly I'm not surprised she is wanting to sit down a lot. As long as she is eating, and walking a little, and looking after her bubs, I think its ok for her to conserve her energy. I would maybe try giving her some CMPK, in case she has some metabolic disturbances still hanging on from the birth and the illness.

Glad to hear she is picking up :)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you put her back on teh antibiotic what did her temp do?

what is the outside temp? did it recently get hotter out? if the outside temp is 80 or higher then a temp in the 103 range is not uncommon

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think it sounds like she is doing a lot better. If she is eating, drinking and chewing cud. That is what we all want when our goats are sick.

Have you been giving her any Probiotic? With that much medication she needs something to put all the good bacteria back in her rumen.

She is drinking water. It is straight water or does it have Electrolytes or anything in it?
    It always seems like this happens when we are so busy and it is the most inconvenient time.

Good luck at the fair.

I think she should great for all she has gone through.

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    It's actually cooled down some the last couple of days. It had been making over 80 each day in the last two weeks, then yesterday we had a cold front blow thru pretty hard. Her temp was down a bit this morning. 103, but it frosted last night so that was in the morning cold. Last night at 9 in the cold she was 103.5. I gave her her second day of Naxcel and BioMycin this a.m. She seemed more chipper this morning. We let the goats out of their pasture to browse for a while during morning chores and she wanted to go out with them and actually stayed up with the herd and took her babies along. Thanks for the encouragement. I can really use it!

6. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I'm giving her probios every other day, and she loves her molasses water with nutridrench treats 2 or 3 times a day. She's also drinking plain water out of the waterers. Her urine and poop volume/consistency seems about right.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It sounds like you are doing a GREAT JOB with her. :clap:

Question, have you ever taken her temp when she is fine? Like a normal day just go take her temp? Ok, I know most people do not. I am asking becasue maybe that is her normal temp. 101-103 is normal, so I really she is just a tad high. I have one doe that runs about a 1035-1039 all the time. That is her normal temp.

Sounds like you are a worried mommy. You are doing great. (But then again you know your goats better then anyone else does).

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Everyone has given great advice.... :thumb: hope she is doing better.... :hug:

9. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Sounds like you're doing wonderfully with her.
    You know when you've been sick it takes a little bit to get back to being totally normal. I'm sure goats are like that too.

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I don't have a baseline temp for her unfortunately. All I know is when I originally gave her banamine and switched her from Baytril to BioMycin, her temp dropped to 102. I know how variable they can be. I have one doe who can lay out in the sun and be 104 but feeling fine. I'm not a worrying mommy, but I sure am a fretful daddy!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I am sorry. I new that. This head ache is getting the best of me.