Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. keren

    keren owned by goats

    Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm off doing 'vet rounds' lol tomorrow.

    On the agenda is schistosomus reflexus in a kitten born about half an hour ago, which should be very interesting.

    Second stop is a doe who hasnt been well for about a week now. It started when the owner put in a CIDR, well a few hours after the doe was discharging a lot of very dark red/black blood and mucus. The CIDR was removed and the doe has been on Amoxicillin but no improvement. Lethargic and not wanting to eat much. Discharge has continued and is now whitish and sweet smelling.

    Any thoughts?
     
  2. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    possible vaginal infection. Angie had one back in november - treated with antibiotics and she cleared up and then took on her first breeding.
     

  3. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, and give some yogurt or Probiotics.
     
  4. keren

    keren owned by goats

    Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'll let you guys know when I see the doe - I havent seen her yet. I am wondering if they were a bit rough putting the CIDR in and injured the vagina - and maybe that injury is now infected. Goodness knows she is not an easy doe to deal with - very friendly with her teeth lol

    Might try putting her on a different antibiotic and see if that clears it up
     
  5. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    could be infection.....like the others say...
     
  6. keren

    keren owned by goats

    Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So here's an update:

    Kitten breeder wasnt home so no photos of that

    Checked out the goat and its not looking good. Dont think she'll be around much longer.

    Here's the full story:

    She kidded twins no problems at all in August 08. Weaned them in December 08.
    About a month ago a CIDR was inserted to sync her up for a stud service.
    Upon CIDR removal, a large amount of dark red/black reasonably thick fluid was discharged from the uterus. At the time of CIDR removal she was also given Estrumate (PG)
    The doe appeared slightly off colour and continued to have discharge.

    She has now been ill for 12 days and has been getting worse the whole time.
    At this point, she is not eating or drinking.
    She has no more discharge but she is squatting and straining softly, without passing anything.
    She is obviously in pain and discomfort, and very tender in the rear end and belly.

    Treatment has been extensive with no improvement.

    She has been tried on three different types of broad spectrum antibiotic, at very strong doses, with no improvement.
    She was given PG and oxytocin to expel anything in the uterus.
    She has been given Ural to flush any urinary tract infection.
    She has been given Minject (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and glucose), commonly used for treating milk fever, grass tetany etc
    She has been given straight glucose
    She has been given Acetol to combat ketosis

    She is also on aspirin for pain relief. It doesnt seem to do much.

    I honestly think at this point, my next step would be to stop all treatment, load her up with probiotics and see if she can fight it herself, otherwise let her go. Everything I can think of, she has had.

    You guys got any ideas?

    For the record, gentle palpation plus visual assessment using a speculum doesnt show any injury to the vulva from the CIDR insertion and removal. I am now wondering if she had a retained placenta/metritis which has only started discharging now, but if thats the case the a/b should have cleared it ...

    :scratch: :?
     
  7. Di

    Di Crazy Goat Lady

    Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, it seems that everything that can be done, has been done. I think I agree with you, any good bacteria in her gut has been killed and she needs probiotics at this point (I read somewhere that you can take some cud from another doe and drench her with it to re-establish the bacterial flora).

    It's too bad you can't humanely put her down, and just have to wait for her to die. I know these "political types" think they are making things better with all their "laws", but it really results in alot of needless suffering for the animals. So sad.
     
  8. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Wow that is one tough girl.

    I would do just what you are all saying. If she has been on all the med and she is not getting any better, that says a lot. Poor baby. Does she have a temp at all? What are her eye lids looks like has she been dewormed lately?
    Good luck. I hope she either pulls out really quick or they decide to put her down if she is that much pain.
     
  9. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what about Follicular Cyst :: complications

    http://lib.bioinfo.pl/meid:294801

    Di ......I know everyone has their own ways and opinions... and we may not agree on everything..I can understand how you feel...... :hug: ...
     
  10. Di

    Di Crazy Goat Lady

    Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was her fault! Please forgive me...she explained it once...if you want to "release her from her suffering" they make you have a vet do it...huge money...I just think it's too bad. Sorry, hopefully she's a tough girl and can recover. Sorry Keren, I know you do whatever you can for your animals. Good luck.
     
  11. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem Di....I know exactly ..where you are coming from.... :wink: :hug: