your wild life

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by toth boer goats, Dec 1, 2008.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what kind of wild life or creatures ect.........does everyone have in there state..or near where they live...If you have pics of natural wild life ...we'd love to see them....feel free to post them.....

such as Australia has kangaroos AKA roos.... ect..... :)

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Kangaroo are all too common
    :p
    Infact I'm sick of seeing them all the time
    Koalas are around but extremely shy and i have only seen a handful in the wild before
    Platypus... never seen one wild but pleanty in zoos
    And echidnas Ive seen them a couple of time and i think they are gorguz :D

and we always have cockatoos screeching in the morning or magpies swooping you in spring :D

what else is there? Cant think

Edit: I'm sure if i looked on mums PC i could find some pictures of me at Featherdale Wildlife Park a few years ago
    I could show you the pic of the snake wrapping me and my friend together :ROFL:

3. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alyssa...you have cockatoos that are wild there? wow it is neat but I know they get real noisy in captivity......I can only imagine what they are like in the wild......It's like an annoying bug called a cricket......here in california..

Alyssa ...yes we would love to see your pics of going to the wildlife park..... :leap:

I was talking with keren that is from Australia...I don't know if you guys live close to one another..? but we were talking about the roos....on how much trouble they get into.... :help:

Oh Koalas..are so cute... :love:

Platypus....they are such interesting creatures.....we shall call one Donald duck...LOL

echidnas...they look like a porcupine in a way ...kinda like ours ...but yours has a beak...LOL

how neat.... :thumbup:

4. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Yes pleanty of wild cockies
    And we have crickets here too.. though they are relaxing when your sitting outside on a summer night :D

Yes i live reasonable close to keren..
    Kangaroos get in lots of troule all the time
    Hit by cars, stuck in fences, being wounded etc
    But they do taste good :wink:
    I love echidnas and koalas.. its a shame you dont see them much :(

And i almost forgot all the possums that come around here.. not as much where i live but in other places they are everywhere lol
    Tonight ill ask mum where the photos are stored (she has thousands on her PC)
    And ill try get them up on here :D

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Let's see...coyotes (way to many!), wild horses (on the hills behind our house), rabbits, pheasants, occasional deer, and that's about it.

6. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh! in the northern territory and other places they have wild brumbies. Most consider them a pest as they wreck fencing, eat feed, drink out of their dams and tear up the landscape. But i think they are pretty :D I think when im older i would like a brumby to ride :greengrin:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I really wish I could to....we have been wanting to visit Australia.....but never have the money for it to go...... :(

Alyssa... we have possums as well...when I lived in the city .....I had my window opened and seen 2 flash light eyes...I got a flashlight and shinned it on it..... and it was a possum....peeping tom possum ......kinda made me nervous at first.....

Alyssa....that would be wonderful....can't wait.... :)

Alyssa..how neat that you live real close to keren...she is a very nice person and very knowledgeable....I talk to her here and I really enjoy our conversations....
    Keren was saying the same thing about the roos...I never in a million years knew you can eat them and they are quite tastey as well.....and I never knew they were so much trouble...... :shocked: Keren mentioned that roos even chase the livestock......wow they are real trouble makers.... :worried:

Alyssa....I looked up what a brumby was ...they are very beautiful....called wild horses here... :) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCaljar4m8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhCaljar4m8[/ame]

8. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Yes and in times of drought they go into the towns and jump onto highways etc
    And yes you can buy kangaroo meat in some stores and they are good on kebab sticks :D

One time at my friends house, she was talking about how she never wants to eat kangaroo. The next day her dad went out and bought kangaroo. She didnt realise but i had a sneaking suspision it was kangaroo. As soon as she finished, he said.. You know what that was? Kangaroo and he walked away smirking
    I cracked up laughing because you should have seen the look on her face it was like :shocked: :slapfloor:

I love australia :cool:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Kylee... sounds like us ...we to have all those kinds of wild life...except the wild horses aren't in the back ....we have to travel a bit to see them.....we also have wild turkeys...quail....foxes....mountain lions....occasionally....white eagle..hawks....a barn owl...that was in our barn flew out and hit the poo target...LOL yuck it was huge.... we get the occasional hoot owls also....they always say the same thing..."who".... :)
    we have rattle snakes....king snakes.... I better stop for now.....

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

We have a lot of deer here. and i mean a lot. We have lots of albino and pied (spotted and blotcched) ones. A few that are white on one end and brown on the other, a few years ago we were walking on our property, and i almost stepped on a baby deer hidden in the grass. We watched all day long and his mom finally came back to get him that evening.
    Lots of quail and pheasant, coyotes of course. A few foxes are left on the isalnd. I think the neatest thing is we have no opossumm like so many places around here.
    Living on the island we see seals and sealions all the time at the beach. Orcas are a pretty commen sight here. Somewhere i have some pictures...let me see if i can dig them up.....well couldnt find the ones i took but i found the ones that my cousin sent from when she was here. This was at keystone, where the ferry to port townsend goes out of about twenty minutes from my house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We see these guys in the bay thats about five minutes from our house sometimes we see humpbacks as well. we see the occaional sand shark, they get trapped in pools when they tide gets really low. of course jellies and crabs and such. I live within walking distance of the beach I wouldnt change that for the world. Its so neat because we can walk there but yet we live out in the country and woods.
    We have several species of owls here the barn owl being the most commen, we have a nest behind our house. We also have screech, great horn, and the rare barred owl here. Saw a barn owl the other night while we were out on a trail wirde. he swooped down in front of us and landed in a tree nearby and just sat there and watched.
    I love the scenery here. If you do a google image search of whidbey island or deception pass you will see what i mean. The decepion pass bridge was the bridge they used in the movie the ring. i always think of that when we go over it. It was kinda creepy looking in the movie but it really is a beautiful place.
    beth

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    moose (lots!!!) they are everywhere. Cows and calves come to our yard sometimes, and lick the condensation off the windows and stare at the goats, who try to butt them through the fence.. :roll:

Bears, not as common in our area, but where i used to live we would see a few everyday, along with caribou . Soldotna, Eagle River.. has had a few bear attacks on goats...

Lots of Fox, Porqupine, rabbits..

A short drive and you will see mountain goats, dall sheep- they hang out on the cliffs along the roads, orca, beluga, humpback whales. Swans and owls, lots of cranes, Buffalo down in kodiak.

There are lots of wolves but they stay away from all the populated area. Tons of eagles, falcon, puffin, loons. Never seen a musk ox but they are common up north, along with polar bear.

lots of fish too, reds, silvers, kings, halibut, trout, etc....

I didnt take these, these are from our local newspaper.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I love Mooses :ROFL:

I am hoping to see one next year when i go to America

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Now theres a place i would love to visit. DUring the summer i think . the pictures i have seen of Alaska are just breath taking.
    i forgot to mention our local eagle population! we have bald eagles all over the place. I almost hit one the other day. I came over the hill and it came flying out of a ditch by the raod holding a rabbit. Scared the living daylights out of me.
    We also have giant doves here, they stand about eighteen inches tall.
    beth

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    they are HUGE. whew, dont ever get a cow angry, she could snap your neck and not even realize it. :shocked: they really are beautiful though... :)

sad alot of them are road kill, so far ...271 this year (there is a board "BRAKE FOR MOOSE" on the highway that they count the people who hit moose). ruins the cars too.

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    We have the usual list of characters- deer, mountain lion, fox, black bear, martins, racoons, bald & golden eagles, coyote, porcupines, osprey, all kinds of wild duck, geese, birds, snakes. reptiles etc etc.
    As I live 7 miles of the ocean, I get to see grey whales, seals, sea lions, sharks (eeweee), etc
    But our most uncommon animal for the rest of the lower 48 is the Roosevelt Elk- a really impressive animal when you are sitting on your horse and his antlers are above your head.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i want to see an elk, and a kangaroo. never seen either!

17. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    kangaroos are weird and quiet
    And no you cant ride in their pouches
    I've heard of some americans getting some weird idea that we ride in kangaroos to school
    NO idea where they got that from but we most certainly wouldnt fit in there! :ROFL: :ROFL:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alyssa.....we learned from bugs bunny... :ROFL:

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    alot of people think alaskans live in igloos and drive dogsleds to school... too cold to do that, and where would your dogs stay? it would get awful noisy.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sparks879....that looks so beautiful hope you can find more pics.....we love going to the ocean and walking the beaches.....finding shells and such.... :)