Yule goats

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by mmahamilton, Sep 4, 2020.

1. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    So this may be a stupid question but has anyone used a pack goat around Christmas as a Yule goat? I have a now 6mo toggenburg wether that I am starting to train as a pack/cart goat and this Christmas I may be helping Santa deliver some gifts with him if his training is still going well. The harness I have is red and I’m going to get some sleigh bells to put on it( still have to introduce him to that) but, I would like to find some sort of pack basket to add to it. The only thing he will carry is maybe some cookies or candy for the kids...so nothing heavy since he will still be so young. I did find some pics On Pinterest of what I would like Toby to look like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    AD257CA5-BD8C-44B0-A040-C89099035572.jpeg

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oooh. That sounds so interesting. I would also like to know how it turns out

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.

3. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    I’ll post pics of him when I get everything together. I have some left over Nordic print fabric from Santa’s shirt that I made him last year so I think I will try to incorporate that so they match!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Laundry hampers? That may be too big but check Walmart.

6. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Oooh I hadn’t thought of that! I’ll check it out this weekend.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Amazon sells some trappers pack baskets. They are woven, maybe you could use something like that. Also, look for 18th century pack baskets.

If you have any Amish basket weavers around, they could probably make you a small set, they have larger baskets they use on horses when they go beaver trapping.

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
  9. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Ok, this is THE MOST fun idea, and I hope you share photos when you get your goat all decked out! Have you checked thrift stores? You never know what you'll find sometimes, and some near me usually have a big assortment of baskets for cheap. You might be able to find something that could be retrofitted without much trouble.

10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I second the thrift store basket idea except that it might be hard to find two that match. I'm sure you can find cheap wicker baskets of all sizes and shapes at Hobby Lobby. I'm thinking small wastebaskets would be about the right size/shape and you might even be able to find something like that at Walmart.

If your goat has horns I recommend wrapping them for the festivities. Even the gentlest goat can accidentally poke a kid in the face if he turns his head at the wrong moment. Our goats attend the annual Yule Log Festival in Beulah every Christmas and we put tennis balls on the tips and then hold them in place with festively colored vetwrap spiraled around the horns.

12:8:19.4.jpg 12:10:17.2.jpg

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I really like that. I love it

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
  14. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Thanks! Finn and Sputnik help drag in the Yule Log every year and are quite the celebrities. They've even made the news a few times!

Wrapping the horns not only protects folks who accidentally bump into them (very easy in a jostling crowd!), but it also makes the horns very visible so people don't crowd too close or bump against them to begin with. It's much easier to notice when a goat starts turning his head and there's a candy cane horn coming your direction than if it blends in with the dead trees behind it.

15. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    We do have a lot of Amish communities around here so I may check with them. I also saw pack baskets on amazon but the ones I saw were around $150 a basket...right now I really don’t want to invest that much just in the baskets because I would like to get some sleigh bells .

16. mmahamilton

mmahamilton Member

Jun 25, 2020
    indiana
    Toby was disbudded so I don't have to worry about that but I just love the look of your goats with the candy cane horns.

17. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Wicker baskets in several styles:

https://www.target.com/p/wastebasket-light-weave-tan-threshold-8482/-/A-16675317

https://www.target.com/p/household-essentials-medium-willow-waste-basket-natural/-/A-51397429 (also found this one at Home Depot)

Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-Essentials-6-Gallon-Seagrass-Wicker-Waste-Basket/15387121

It would be very easy to take any pair of these and strap them onto either side of a goat harness. Just make sure the saddle/back strap on your harness has a good rigid pad to protect your goat's spine.

I got some really cheap pleather sleigh bell door hangers at Walmart a few years ago from the Christmas aisle. They won't be out for a couple more months but they work perfectly for hanging on either side of your harness. I want to say they're about 15 inches long and maybe 2 inches wide with six or so bells. They're very pleasant-sounding and they were only a few bucks each.

18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Our Walmart already has the Christmas aisle out, next to the Thanksgivimg and Halloween aisle! I guess they want this year over quickly, too! o_O

I laughed so hard (rofl) at your decorated goats! Not that they are funny, but that they were decorated so cleverly! :wow:

19. Llaughingllama

Llaughingllama Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Montana
    Love the goats there! The vetwrap is inspired!

20. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    They are so cute all dressed up!! The tennis balls and vet wrap idea was genius!! : )