The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevre success!!! My first time turned out wonderful! I split it and flavored half with ranch powder and left the other plain for now. Taking it to a friends house for dinner!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Looks great! Pulled some of mine out of the freezer and eating it now too. Still tastes great when defrosted.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! Can you believe that out of 2 pounds of cheese there is about 2 table spoons left ROFL!!! Everyone loved it!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its pretty easy! the recipe I used called for 1 gallon of milk. Heat to 77 degrees, (mine got to 80), add 1/4 tsp of mesophilic culture sprinkled of the top. Let set for 5 min and then gently draw the culter down in the milk with an up and down motion. The recipe said to do that with a skimmer, but I used a metal slotted spoon. Then delute 1 drop of liquid rennet into 1 tbs of water. Add to milk and again gently draw down into the milk with up and down motions. cover and let sit for 24 hours. Ladle curd into cheese cloth and hang for 6 to 7 hours and then add 1% of its weight in cheese salt (I used canning salt). Then flavor as you desire! It was super easy and not at all time consuming. This is going to be a staple in my home I am thinking! Hubby is a total cheese fanatic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts