The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story on this might be a little long since there's a lot going on but as for questions, I really only have 2, the rest is just for fun, to talk about them, give some background (what I have anyway) & make sure I'm not totally screwing this up lol. The questions are 1) When should I let Chloe stop sleeping in the crate at night? 2) Is it true that grass will kill Marley? Here's the story:
I picked up my much anticipated goats a few days ago, a 4yo wether, Bambi...& a 4 day old doe, Marley..both are pygmies & we didn't intend to get a bottle baby just yet but..I was a goner when I saw her ;) The enclosure is large, w/lots of browse, grass, flowers, leaves, dead pine needles, roots, etc (no lilacs, rhodies or azaleas) but someone just told me that if Marley (the now 7 day old) eats grass it will kill her..is that true? I'm a newbie but the thought just blows my mind..if their mom's raise them, how do ppl keep the babies from eating the grass when mom does (for the record, she's not real interested in the grass, she seems to like the dead pine needles & tender little leaves of some of the wildflowers but I'm not positive she HASN'T eaten any grass at all). Marley is inside w/us a lot right now as she cant be unattended w/Bambi yet & is still on a bottle (plus w/the exception of yesterday & today it's been cold & rainy, no place for an infant), she's taking her bottle well, I mix 1 cup of warm water & 3/4 cup of save a kid 2x a day & she eats 4x (I cant do the math to break it down further but she eats 1/2 a bottle at a time so I think it's about right, hopefully I'm not over feeding...) & sometimes skips a feeding or eats a little less at a time..I dont force it. In her morning bottle I also add probios & she has 24/7 access to 1st cut hay..She also gets medicated pelleted food offered at least 2x a day w/mantapro? goat minerals but it seems EVERYTHING likes that stuff so I have to offer it & then pick it back up when she's done b/c ALL my animals like it..cats, dogs & the wether is nuts over the stuff, I cant even bring it in the yard, he almost bowls me over trying to get it..& I know he shouldn't have any, she eats a little of everything she's supposed to & then browses w/the other 2 in the yard when we're out here, she seems happy, hopping around like a crazy animal & nibbling, annoying her herd mates..seems pretty normal to me lol, she had the runs a little yesterday afternoon/evening which I chalked up to it being our 1st full day outside in the sunshine & all the new browse she nibbled but was a little concerned so gave her a tiny bit of pepto to settle her belly & she slept thru the night, took her bottle this morning & is acting normal, I checked her temp, 102.4, well w/in normal if what I've been reading is correct & has peed a few times but I haven't seen her poop yet today (admittedly, I may have missed it but..I kinda doubt it, I've only walked away twice for a min to grab a drink). Anyhow..that's Marley. We also picked up the last of our herd..for awhile anyway lol...yesterday, an 8wo Fainting doe, Chloe who is settling in nicely, Bambi picks on her a little sometimes but hasn't really gotten "aggressive" w/her, I've been trying not to step in much since I know they need to work out their pecking order but that doesn't seem to be his issue, he seems to be more jealous of things than just being a bully. He had the shed to himself for the 1st 2 nights he was here & he knocked her out of the shed yesterday evening so I put a large dog crate in there (I have an extra large 1 from when my dogs were being crate trained) & put her in that for the night & everything went fine. My question is, how long do I have to make her sleep in the crate at night before I should be able to shut them in the shed loose together? I wouldn't worry so much if it wasn't for the size difference, Chloe will be bigger than him when she's grown but she's just a fat little babe right now..(& marley is TINY..3lbs). I guess that's all for now, sorry for the length, I'm so excited & dont have many ppl who wanna listen to me talk about my goats lol. Included pics, 1st is Bambi the day we brought him home, 2nd is Chloe & I the day we picked her out (about 3wks ago, she's a little bigger now), & last is little Marley the day we brought her home 3 days ago.

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
I skipped over the rest of the background (I know, rude, I'm sorry) but to answer your questions:
1-Truthfully they don't need to be kenneled, I only kennel during the night. After the first week they're kicked outside to the kid pen. I pull and bottle feed all kids. Our choice.
2-Grass will not kill your kids. How do you think they learn what to eat or not to eat? Lol Not sure who told you that. If you're truly concerned, go and grab some hay and offer it to them. They nibble. Usually not ever enough to get sick. Once she starts nibbling a bit more, you can give a pea sized drop of probiotic paste to ease your mind. :)

Have fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries about skipping..I figure some will but that way I can get information instead of a bunch of return questions. I knew that didn't sound right about the grass but was reserving judgement lol..the person we got her from said that & I didn't believe it..so I double-checked. They get 1st cut hay 24/7 already..as well as a million other things they browse on on our property. Happy goats.
Chloe is only kenneled at night b/c I dont have a kid pen, I have 1 shed & it's the only way to separate til I'm sure he wont beat her up.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
First congrats on your new babies... and yes..I did read your whole post lol..
ok: so I wouldnt set her free just yet ...I keep mine in a kennel at night until they na hold their own with the other kids..at least 2 weeks,...then I do supervised visits to be sure the bigger kids wont hurt them...then I let them have day time play..once i an super sure they are safe then they move in with the other kids...SInce your wether has horns..extra caution is needed..
as for the grass..no it wont kill her..she is mostly tasting right now..
I would not give feed at 7 days old...she is not ready to digest it...milk should be her main food...a little grass hay to play with but she wont eat much right now..
if you weigh her..multiply that by 16 to get her weight in oz..then multiply that by 10% to see how much milk per day she should have...then divide that by four feedings...it is always good to be sure how much they need...too much will cause milk scours or constipation, toxcity and so forth..so this is important. Pepto is good to give for runs but also CD Antitoxin is a good med to keep on hand..if she has the runs or stops taking the bottle this medication can very well save her life..so if you dont have any...I would pick some up or oder it..
I can tell you are very excited about your babies...they are super adorable

·
Super Moderator
59,751 Posts
All of your goats need the Manna Pro Goat Mineral. Please leave it out free choice for your little guy.

You can put out the mineral and feed for your little one but more than likely she won't eat it. I leave my babies with the moms and they sometimes start mouthing it around a week old but truly aren't eating it yet.

Can you put something in the shed that Chloe can get under or into that Bambi can't? That way you can keep them together but Chloe has somewhere to get away from Bambi.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@HappyBleats-That's kind of what I was thinking, about 2wks or so. Chloe stayed w/her mom & a bunch of other goats (most w/horns) til she was 8wks so she knows how to act..plus she's got to be the most laid back goat I've ever met, she's just super sweet, not an ornery bone in her body lol, when Bambi comes up to where she's nibbling she just walks away & lets him have it (helps that there's plenty out there to choose from!). When Marlee annoys her, she walks away lol so I'll prob start putting Marlee in the kennel overnight w/Chloe starting maybe Sunday-ish, that will have given Chloe a week alone in the kennel to get settled in & get to know Marlee during the day & I can get Marlee out w/the goats where she belongs during the night, she'll still have to be inside when I can't be out there watching her as she was not around other goats & doesn't have the good sense to leave Bambi alone when he's eating..even after warnings..but slow steps are fine as long as they're steps in the right direction. Then both little ones are safe & no one is alone. He's pretty good for the most part, VERY used to kids, he gives 3 "warning" head tilts w/o touching them & if they keep it up he usually stomps before he tries to give them a good 1. Marlee pushes his buttons but I'm always right there, I let him correct a little-Marlee's got to learn-but I haven't let her annoy him past the 3rd warning...Chloe minds her own business & for the most part, he seems to as well (although he did pick on her a little yesterday but I think he was trying to play, she just wasn't having any of it lol).
Thank you for telling me how to figure out the milk thing..the word "math" gives me a headache lol but calculators are a beautiful thing haha so I'll figure it all out when Marl wakes up from her nap & will stop offering pellets.she really hasn't eaten any anyhow, she just licks at them & the minerals (I will keep offering minerals anyway, in case she'd like to "peck" but will hold off on the pellets), she does like to nibble on the hay though & is taking her bottle very well. She's back to normal today in the poo dept & obviously still feeling well so I'm feeling better that I haven't screwed up too bad yet haha. We have some of the CD Antitioxin jic but so far so good :) Thank you for everything, I am BEYOND excited..I have been looking forward to getting my goats since I was 12 (I'm 29 now...) they're such awesome little critters!

@Ksalvagno-Bambi & Chloe now have free choice minerals out there, I was sprinkling it on their food but your right, it prob wasn't enough. I'll have to make a better feeder for it but for today, a bowl will do lol. I offer it to Marlee 4-5 times a day but she isn't really doing much beyond tasting it right now, like you said, she's kinda just more curious about what I'm offering than actually being interested lol. I dont really have anything I can put IN the shed for Chloe to hide in but she doesn't spend much time inside anyway during the day so I stacked 3 pallets on 1 side, 2 on the other, 1 across the top just outside the shed that she can hide under if she needs to. Is there a way to stop Bambi from "claiming" the whole shed (he sometimes lays just inside the door & shoves anyone who tries to come in away...)? Thanks for the idea of something Chloe can get under tho, I feel better knowing she has a haven out there.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track with them. as for Bambi being a door..lol...until another got puts him in his place..sounds like he is boss...best thing you can offer is a second shed or a few dog houses...maybe is he had his own dog house he loves..he wil leave the door way open...but you might find all your other goats crammed in the dog house and Bambi enjoying a large shed to himself lol..just keep working with him lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I've been looking for other things for them to jump on/hide in like dog houses or those playskool playhouses & such but so far no luck (I refuse to pay $100+ for something the goats are just gonna poop/play in lol), will keep looking. It will be EXTREMELY hot the next few days anyway & I doubt very much that they'd choose a stuffy shed (it has good ventilation but nothing like being outside!) over laying under a tree in any breeze that might come by nibbling away so..I'm sure I have a few days. Chloe doesn't seem to care much about being inside anyhow, they have lots of soft grass & shade trees. Will do on the working w/him thing. I'm still considering getting him (Bambi) another wether "buddy" so the boys can hang together & the girls can do their thing but we still haven't decided..I guess I wont know til we try but it could help..or maybe we'd just end up w/2 boys bullying the girls. I dunno...undecided. Thanks for all your advice!! I really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts