Zeus is a busy boy

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Dec 11, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Zeus, the something X something else buck we brought in yesterday is really taking his job to heart. I have 4 does with goopy, drippy vulva's. Even mean Queen Tracy is goopy today. I know hes covered everyone several times at least. Hes struttin' all over the pen like a proud papa to be, flappin his lip and tongue. He really looks kinda silly.

Hes also doing a great job of keeping the peace. No one is challenging anyone and its amazingly rather quiet out there.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good job Zeus!!! Now, are you gonna be prepared for babies coming out your ears in May?

3. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Your goat is channeling Tiger Woods.

Next he'll want a set of Pings and a private jet.

Keep him away from your Cadillac SUV and pain pills.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ummm are we ever prepared for more than one doe kidding at the same time :GAAH: ?
    I think I will schedule my vacation for that time so I can be here, then go back to work for my vacation.

I also need to get 4 kidding pens set up between now and then. I also need to make a milking area separate from the main pen. It was a pain trying to milk a FF with a half a dozen helpers trying to help. I also need to get Tracy accustomed to having her udder and teats touched. Get the blades on the clipper sharpened, along with getting another blade to swap out. Invest in a whole lot more towels, bottles and nipples(just in case).

Most importantly I need to go see the brain fairy and see if shes got any new brains. Mine obviously has a few screws that have fallen out and become lost somewhere along the way.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Really sounds like a well thought out plan....now if your girls co-operate and kid while you are home :wink:

7. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    On a serious note...what tends to happen to us is it will rain goats for like a week. For some reason when one drops, which almost always Slash going first, it triggers the rest of them to drop their load. Maybe it's the hormones in the air or something. Makes sense for herd animals to do that in the wild. All the babies at once rather than a few here and there.

I'll never forget last January. I was in an EMS refresher OB course (I hope I never have to do that for real on a human). The day after that course it rained goats for the next nine days. Some friends brought their kids over to see the babies and one of the kids said, "Hey, I think there's two more over there!" I said there's was no freaking way...ooops, what do you know.

Slash is separating herself from the herd and the babies have settled in to the lower part of her stomach. That usually signals go time. If her belly hangs down any lower she's going to be dragging on the ground. It's painful to watch her walking, always back of the pack.

The ladies are going to get a break for a year. Things are lot less stressful now that billy is in the freezer and I'm going to be a lot more deliberate and infrequent when it comes to breeding. I can buy really nice animals for $50-$60 out here, so not managing a billy is definitely an option.

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will have 5 does all kidding within a short time(few days). If they all have twins, that will be 10 kids. Heaven forbid if they have trips. Needless to say, I will be Dam raising this year. I figure I will still have enough milk coming in.