Zinc deficiency vs. Mites

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ThreeHavens, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    For a week or so, I've been keeping an eye on two of my bucks' coats. It looked to me like their winter coat was maybe shedding. I found that a bit strange since we were in January, but it has been abnormally warm. The tip of my senior buck's scrotum was also balding - I treated it with Nu-Stock which always works for us when it comes to that issue.

Today I noticed the hair on my senior bucks' face is thin enough that I can see some of his pink skin on his cheeks and forehead. This isn't normal for him. My first thoughts were a possible zinc deficiency, or that they have mites.

I gave both bucks a human zinc pill, crushed up inside a treat. My question is, how much zinc should I give them before I know whether this is zinc related, and is it going to hurt them if I give it uneeded?

2. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    We have Ivomec, do you guys think we should treat for mites to cover our bases?

3. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Could be lice. Are you sure it isn't lice? I can always feel mites. They make like a scab. I doubt it's mites if you can't feel scabs. I'd think it's more like lice. I had hair falling out on one of my goats and it was lice

4. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Will check for lice - we do have trouble with lice in the spring usually, but it's been cold enough that I haven't seen them in awhile. I'll wrestle some bucks tomorrow and do a good check. I'll dust them with sulfur for good measure too.

So with mites I can expect scabs, right? That's what I thought. So I'm probably dealing with lice, or a deficiency, you think?

I did /just/ copper bolus them. At first I thought they were growing in new hair from the bolus.

5. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Mites yes I usually see scabs with mites.

My goats have had lice this winter. We keep going back from cold temps to warm temps. I put their coats on when it's real cold. We didn't do any preventive treatment for them. So am treating with cylence and it's wking great. I like to use natural stuff but wanted to kill the bugs not just repel them. So I used cylence.

I want to get sulfur to try to use.

I don't think that's a deficiency. I think it's lice. Sounds like what I went through recently. See what you find on them. I might be wrong. But I just sorta went through that.

6. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ugh. I've never had lice cause hair loss - will definitely check them tomorrow.

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I've never heard of live causing hair loss either. Let us know how it goes.

8. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Is the cyclence a one time treatment for lice? Did that take care of the problem? How quickly did you see results? Does the Nu stock snuff out life or help with growing new fur back?

9. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    No lice, at least none that I can see. I can usually find them and I really did dig for them.

I gave him another zinc, and dusted them and their bedding with sulfur.

10. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Cylence is a one time treatment but then you can treat again in 3 was if needed.

It seems to have wked pretty well. But I'm treating again once at the 3 wk mark.

Nustock I use for mites. Yes it helps with hair growth and smothers the mites. Kills them.
    They hate sulfur.

Tami

11. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    That's good you didn't have any lice in yr herd.

12. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'm dusting them with the sulfur power to try to cover my bases, but if this turns out not to be helped by the zinc I'll buy the shampoo version of Nu-Stock and give them a bath with it when it's warm, haha!

13. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
  14. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Mites and scabs

Let us know how it works out!

15. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Can you share the link of the nustock type soap for washing? I'd like to see what it is. Thanks!

16. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sure, it's listed here :) http://www.nustock.com/products.html

Also, I'm a little scared to give them zinc everyday. Does anyone who has experience giving zinc have a proper dosage and length of time to try it?

17. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Oh thanks!!!!
    I guess I never realized they had shampoo! That's cool! I might get some to use as their first wash of the summer!

18. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I thought that was pretty cool too!