The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to owning and caring for goats. Forgive my naivety. We’ve always had ponies and I am slowly downsizing. We only have one pony now with a Nigerian dwarf and a Nubian as paddock mates. The Nigerian dwarf began developing dry skin, which led to very thick crusty dry skin that we would massage off with MTG. The vet came out and didn’t give us any definitive answers. She seems to be getting worse and has lost a lot of hair on her neck, sides of her belly now, all 4 of her legs, and beginning on her face now. We keep her covered because we live in New England and it’s beginning to get cold. I’m beginning to think, based on research I’ve been doing, that she has a zinc deficiency. If I want to supplement and give her zinc tablets, how much would I give her? She’s about the size of a golden retriever I guess.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
This is an old thread. You might want to start your own so more people will see it.

That bad would say mites to me. Have you treated for lice or mites at all?

·
14,760 Posts
Welcome! I agree, this is an old thread and you might get better response for your situation with a new thread post.
However, I will second the thought on it being mites.
I'd have your vet do a skin scrape if possible to determine if it is or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is an old thread. You might want to start your own so more people will see it.

That bad would say mites to me. Have you treated for lice or mites at all?
So...I treated for lice. When the vet came out, they told me that upon examination, she didn't see any lice or mites. So, we didn't treat for anything more. However, now that it's gotten worse, I reached out to another friend who suggested treating for mites with injectable ivermectin once a week for three weeks, getting Nu-Stock to put on her, and zinc supplements. We're going to go that route and see what happens in a few weeks. Fingers crossed she begins to get better. Thanks for the advice about this being an old thread. I didn't even think to look at that.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
You can't see mites. You can see lice, but not mites. I'd go the route your friend said.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
You can't see mites. The product you want to put on the skin is NuStock. Yes. I would do weekly injectable Ivomec.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Just she have loose minerals available? I’ve seen a case similar to this before. It was not only zinc, but copper as well. I would give zinpro daily, a copper bolus, hopefully she has loose minerals already but make sure they are quality, NuStock you can apply to the worst spots, and I agree with using the injectable ivermectin.

Then you’ve covered all your bases. Just be sure not to forget about copper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts