Zinc Deficiency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MellonFriend, Mar 10, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I've been noticing a lot of discussion about zinc deficiency lately and I figured I'd start my own thread instead of hogging someone else's (sorry @Champion Fence Jumpers if things were getting out of hand). So I read that symptoms of zinc deficiency can be skin and hair problems, joint stiffness, excessive salivation, swollen feet, low libido, poor appetite, and weight loss. Would it be possible to see zinc deficiency show up as only one of these symptoms? How would you go about narrowing down whether zinc deficiency is a problem in your herd?

I have been giving Replamin to my herd monthly and replamin contains 39.9mg of zinc in a 5cc dose. Would that be enough to stave off deficiency and rule it out? I am also giving them a tablespoon of BOSS twice a day and they are supposed to be a good source of zinc.

If any one else wants to discuss their suspicions of zinc issues feel free to join in and do so.

@HoosierShadow what were you seeing in your herd that made you suspect zinc?

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Here it's skin/hair issues - more susceptible to mites or what I am assuming is mites. We have a doe that foams at the mouth when she chews cud. Normally this wouldn't bother me, I've had a couple of does over the years that have done this. But to start at age 3 (last year)?

I have noticed major improvement in our does since giving copper, so it's possible that they were just copper deficient. But I've seen more dry/flaky skin this winter overall than I have in the past.

Rascal66 and toth boer goats like this.
  3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    There are a few "tell" signs for different mineral deficiencies. For example; weak pasturns = low selenium, fade color and or course fur = low copper.

The one im most familiar with for zinc is of course dandruff

Joint stiffness could be boran (borax) zinc or selenium

Point is it's sort of a trial and error thing for some, with error hopefully being not enough still. But with out knowing the symptoms your dealing with it would be hard to say if it's 1 mineral, multiple minerals, or another issue completely.

I did, actually just yesterday looking for the small tube of replamin, read a recent post to a dairy goat board that per a company contact replamin is safe to give once a week for goats. Of course I don't know selenium wise for your area but maybe that's where you can start. If your only giving it once a month go up to once ever 3 weeks, then once every 2 then then every week if needed until you see the improvement your looking for. But keep in mind if there is a secondary issue such as lice or mites you likely won't see the improvement you want, so you need to make sure any other issues are managed also. Also, some on here recommended replamin dose for 5 days in a row and then once a week after to build up what they need to start with and then keep it up.

Another thing to keep in mind is access to a quality free choice loose mineral mix, because even with replamin or any supplements done goats will just need a little more then others. And having free choice loose minerals gives them thre chance to take what they need if and when they feel they need it.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Replamin is actually low in zinc. So doing some zinc supplementation if they need it is fine.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    So my oldest doe may have dandruff on her rump, but I thought that was from being copper deficient?

C28E1E52-B383-48F0-B448-CAD9F0F33646.jpeg 4807EBA2-1077-4B3F-98D8-08E5C9DB9152.jpeg

6. ksalvagno

Dandruff isn't usually copper deficiency.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Alright, I am thinking I have a classic case of Zinc deficiency in one of my bucks because we did the 3 week consecutive shots of Ivermectin and he is still balding and very very flaky... He's holding great weight and has a good appetite but he is starting to scare me with this hair loss. Is there a supplement I can give him to balance him back fairly quickly? I ashamedly was feeding my boys a little to many alfalfa pellets ( they don't need to have any) and I just learned the calcium will deplete the zinc. So The alfalfa is stopping now, I will be picking up timothy pellets (their hay is ok but of my 2 bucks one is underweight and I love them to have options). I am just going to try to dial down their feeding to hay and timothy pellets, maybe a bit of beet pulp for the thinner boy.

MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. ksalvagno

But you also have to keep.in mind the proper minimum 2:1 calcium to phosphorus for their entire diet. Urinary calculi can happen if that balance isn't right. Nothing is a quick fix. But certainly a zinc supplement will help.

toth boer goats and FoxRidge like this.
  10. Champion Fence Jumpers

Champion Fence Jumpers Active Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Texas
    Alright so do you think she could be zinc deficient?

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I got some cell phone pics of our girls with dandruff. We usually do see dandruff when they get their thick cashmere winter coats, but this year seems excessive. Not sure if the traditional colored does have it this bad, it's hard to tell on them.
    I will say they are looking much better after giving copper, and they are shedding. I've been brushing them randomly getting some of the hair off.

First doe (forgot to get full body pic)
    [​IMG]

Camera took a funny pic, she is not that light or faded color
    [​IMG]

This is the one above (I've brushed over 1 grocery bag of fluff off of her lol) Her coat is coming in nicely and getting much sleeker.
    [​IMG]

So I don't know... if this is just a winter dry skin issue, or if it's an issue I should be concerned about.

NO lice - haven't had lice in years. We do deal with mites off and on, but I'm not finding any issues like scabby legs that I typically find when they have an issue.

MellonFriend likes this.
  12. ksalvagno

Dandruff is usually zinc, lice or mites. Can occasionally be selenium.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California