Zinc issues, help!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CBPitts, Dec 23, 2020.

1. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I have a few goats that I think really need zinc. The issue is that I group feed and I don’t have a decent or realistic way to individually supplement 20+ goats.

How do you all deal with this? How easy is it to overdo zinc?

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Do they come in for milking and get fed separately? And even if not, when they’re stuck in a head gate you could go down the line and stuff zinc/molasses balls down their throats.
    If neither is an option, I’d start experimenting with adding extra zinc into their loose mineral-go by what you would be dosing per head if doing it individually, and times it by how many does in the herd and mix that amount into their loose mineral for 4 weeks and see if it helps. Most mammals need more zinc these days, so it’s not super easy to overdose, but too much of a good thing is always a bad idea so it’d pay to be careful and just do it for 4 weeks. If they eat it good and the signs of zinc deficiency don’t resolve in those few, than it’s probably not zinc deficiency. And if they do, then good-I wouldn’t keep putting the extra zinc in the mineral after that. Sometimes all they need is a little boost, and don’t need the extra all the time.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Okay, before I get started recommended zinc, I would like to know why you think you have zinc issues.

Different zinc supplements work differently based on severity and need.

4. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I have a few that all show different things. Several with dry, flaky skin and susceptibility to hoof rot, one with all that and excessive foamy salivation as well some joint clicking (she’s also 9).

We feed pretty high calcium with alfalfa pellets and beet pulp.

We don’t have breeding issues, sore joints, or miscarriages.

After talking with my herd health vet and the nutritionist both agree that my most likely issue may be zinc but only after I asked and related all the reasons I think that may be an issue. Both agreed it’s easy enough to try for 2 weeks and see if issues resolve.

I bought the small bag of supplement but money is crazy tight this year with COVID and I’m reluctant to order the big bag from Zinpro without a pretty solid case for it.

Everyone is good on copper but we have to bolus every 4 months. We have very high iron in our water. We have biopsies from every animal we butcher or that dies here but zinc is checked through serum and I haven’t had that done.

Moers kiko boars and SalteyLove like this.
  5. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I have a bag of true care trace mineral blend.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    TruCare works fantastically but it is not budget-friendly for a large herd. Personally, and this is just based on my own experiences with the same symptoms, Zinpro40 doesn't work great.

I recommend trying half of a 50mg human zinc pill once weekly for 2 doses, then once monthly thereafter. See if there is any improvement after 2-3 months. TruCare would be good for the ones with the worst issues, so you can do targeted dosing for those.

Another thing that I learned helped a lot with zinc is offering a sheep mineral alongside your goat mineral. The sheep mineral is going to be very high zinc with no copper to block absorption. The ones that need zinc most will favor this mineral - it shouldn't effect their consumption of the other mineral, but if it did, the worst thing is bolusing a little more often. I find boluses are an easy way to supplement with copper and they really do work. Solving zinc issues and keeping zinc IN THE BODY is much harder.

7. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    [mention]NigerianDwarfOwner707 [/mention] I never even considered using the people stuff! That actually makes all this very doable. I’ll pull the 3 worst cases and use the trace mineral on them and the other can get the pill.

I raise Alpines and Boer crosses. The adult Alpine does all weigh in around 160 pounds and the Boers between 120/150. Would you still use half a pill?

TCOLVIN and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You could probably give a full 50mg pill, or a 35mg.

9. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    In your experience, do you think giving weekly replamin as well as free choice purina goat mineral satisfies most zinc needs?

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I think most goats’ zinc needs are satisfied with a loose mineral and the right diet.

Replamin does not have a proper copper to zinc ratio and tends to worsen zinc issues.

11. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    @CBPitts Call the Zinpro representative for your area. I’m in the same area as you and that fellow was extremely helpful for helping me find someone with the smaller bags of Zinpro for sale. Definitely your most economical choice, over Tru Care or the human pills.

Moers kiko boars and CBPitts like this.
  12. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    [mention]Ranger1 [/mention] thanks! I’ll ask around!

13. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey CB. I use human zinc on my goats. I only treat the ones showing signs. I buy a bottle of zinc from walmart. 60 pills for $4.00. I crush a pill and Load it in a drench gun with electrolytes & water. Drench each one. It takes about 5 seconds. It saves me a bundle and I know.who gets what and how much.

friesian49 and CBPitts like this.
  14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Curious, what frequency and regimen do you give them in?

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    The zinc didn’t make any difference at all. We do have a mild lice infestation but just this week when I brought in new straw. We check weekly at least.

It also didn’t make any difference to my buck with chronic hoof rot. I’m frustrated.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  17. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I used TruCare on 4 that looked the most like they could use it. There was no change in any of them.

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sometimes TruCare doesn’t always work. If you try human zinc try Gluconate or Amino Acid Complex.

TCOLVIN and friesian49 like this.
  19. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Could you take a picture so I could see whats going on? Please?

20. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    HA
    Have you tried applying LA200 directly to the hooves that you are having the hoof rot problems? Someone on this forum told me to do this for hoof scald, as well as hoof rot. I've found this works better than all of the other hoof rot remedies. Far better than coppertox, & soaking in other solutions. Keep at the rot with daily (or every otherday) cleaning & trimming when needed and when done slather LA 200 on the hoof. You'll notice a huge difference in a couple of days.