The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
@Caileigh Jane Smith, Okay, they do eat through the fence but it didn't seem to effect their noses. My ND had mites but they went away since giving her Ivermectin. They do seem to have thinner hair, and my ND looks to have flaky skin especially on her udder. I can get pictures tomorrow. They get feed coastal hay that is really green and fresh smelling, they get it 24/7. what lab do you recommend for sending in fecals?

·
Registered
794 Posts
@Caileigh Jane Smith, Okay, they do eat through the fence but it didn't seem to effect their noses. My ND had mites but they went away since giving her Ivermectin. They do seem to have thinner hair, and my ND looks to have flaky skin especially on her udder. I can get pictures tomorrow. They get feed coastal hay that is really green and fresh smelling, they get it 24/7. what lab do you recommend for sending in fecals?
Eating through the fence might do it! I made a feeder out of the same welded wire I use for fencing, and a couple of my goats have balding noses, now.
I would recommend sending fecal samples off to Meadow Mist Labs. The price is very reasonable... $7 per fecal, I believe.
I like to give selenium a week or two before kidding, and only after kidding if I feel the doe or kid needs it. One of my does gets weak pasterns while pregnant, so I will give her a couple doses of selenium during her pregnancy, and that seems to help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Okay, thank you!!
You're welcome! And just FYI, I don't struggle with big selenium issues in my herd. I have more issues with copper and zinc. So I supplement those a lot more than I supplement selenium. But others need more selenium supplementation to support a healthy pregnancy and birth for their does. If you post pictures of your goats, I'm sure the helpful folks on here will help spot possible mineral issues for you. If you start a new thread, it will be more likely to get noticed and you'll probably get more input.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You're welcome! And just FYI, I don't struggle with big selenium issues in my herd. I have more issues with copper and zinc. So I supplement those a lot more than I supplement selenium. But others need more selenium supplementation to support a healthy pregnancy and birth for their does. If you post pictures of your goats, I'm sure the helpful folks on here will help spot possible mineral issues for you. If you start a new thread, it will be more likely to get noticed and you'll probably get more input.
Okay, thanks!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
For the last several years my goat Sputnik has lost all the hair on the front of his face in wintertime. The last two years it was really bad. The hair doesn't start growing back until late spring, and finally by summer he has hair on his face again. It's definitely not from rubbing on anything, and it's also not from his halter. If that were the case the problem would be worse in summer when I halter him a lot more often. The only other goat who had this problem was old Cuzco when he got to be a teenager. When Cuzco got old, his hair would fall out in patches, his skin got very flaky, and his nose went bald. I assumed it was a zinc deficiency and that it was because his body couldn't process minerals properly any more in his old age.

I'm not sure why Sputnik would have a zinc deficiency. He doesn't show any other signs except a little dandruff and the bald nose in winter, and this is not a herd-wide problem. Interestingly, his younger half-sister from the same dam also started losing hair on her nose this winter. I think it got thin last winter too. Not as bad as Sputnik, but definitely noticeable. Skeeter has also been itching a lot in the last few weeks and is starting to get flaky skin on her body.

I suspect some kind of problem absorbing zinc with these two. I actually started giving them a daily dose of the Spring Valley zinc pills (zinc gluconate) about six weeks ago. I hope I'm not overloading them, BUT as soon as I started supplementing, Sputnik and Skeeter's noses both stopped losing hair. There was about 3 weeks of no noticeable change but also no new hair loss. Now there is hair growing back. Skeeter's nose almost looks normal now and Sputnik's large bald patch is shrinking, with little baby hairs growing from his muzzle upwards, and hair now growing in from the sides. For the last two years, this time of year was when his hair loss was the worst, and it wouldn't resolve until summertime. I'm thrilled to see that not only did he not lose nearly as much hair, but what's gone is already starting to grow back. I think it has to be the zinc that's making this difference.

However, how much zinc in this form is too much? It's a daily pill for humans and Sputnik and Skeeter each get one a day. Sputnik weighs around 230# and Skeeter probably around 150#. Skeeter's hair is growing back faster, but the dose is higher for her body weight. I also don't think she has as bad a problem as Sputnik. I wonder what causes these two to have this problem, and I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by giving daily zinc pills?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How many mg is the pill, Damfino?

I think it's important to remember trial and error with minerals - if something isn't working, change it, don't just keep giving it. If something IS working, figure out how to get over the hump and then remember to slow down after that.

Keep in mind flaky dry skin can be a compilation of things including vitamins A&D deficiency.

One of mine gets dry skin in the winter. If you ask me, it's because he is not getting as much mineral-rich forage.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
They are the 50mg pills. I was looking at his nose this afternoon as I came in and I am kind of astounded how fast the hair is starting to come back now. Usually early March is when he begins the worst part of his baldness and it continues for another 6-8 weeks before I start seeing any improvement. It's downright embarrassing to take him anywhere when he looks like that! I also feel bad putting a halter on him this time of year since I'm afraid the nylon might chafe his bare nose. But now his muzzle is fuzzy again, and the bald patch higher up is getting narrower. This will be the first spring in several years that Sputnik will have hair on his face!

I'm keeping an eye on Skeeter's nose. It's getting a lot more normal-looking now and I can probably start cutting her back pretty soon. She never got quite as much to begin with since I don't always give it to her every day like I do with Sputnik.

·
Registered
272 Posts
They are the 50mg pills. I was looking at his nose this afternoon as I came in and I am kind of astounded how fast the hair is starting to come back now. Usually early March is when he begins the worst part of his baldness and it continues for another 6-8 weeks before I start seeing any improvement. It's downright embarrassing to take him anywhere when he looks like that! I also feel bad putting a halter on him this time of year since I'm afraid the nylon might chafe his bare nose. But now his muzzle is fuzzy again, and the bald patch higher up is getting narrower. This will be the first spring in several years that Sputnik will have hair on his face!

I'm keeping an eye on Skeeter's nose. It's getting a lot more normal-looking now and I can probably start cutting her back pretty soon. She never got quite as much to begin with since I don't always give it to her every day like I do with Sputnik.
That's what my does have... I may try what you did. How many mg did you give to each goat? My goats weights are: 50-60, 80-90 and 130.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts