Zinc Reactive Dermatosis -where can i find zinc sulphate?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by boeredinoh, Apr 7, 2012.

1. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi Folks!
    Had the vet out for a herd check the other day. Had him look at my doe that lost all her hair around her eyes..looks just like ringworm except the bald spots never get any biggger and none of the other goats have it. He said maybe Zinc Responsive Dermatosis. treat 1g zinc sulphate once a day. He said i can find zinc sulphate online if i just google it. Well i did and everything i can find is like what you would use in a chemistry class, or human. The zinc for humans is in mg doses. I'd be giving like her like 5 pills a day if i went by that...seems strange. I did find a zinpro for dogs with this problem,but i'm a little nervous to use that as well. I emailed the company asking for the ingrediants and medicine label.

Anybody ever have to supplement Zinc??? how did you do it??

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Zinc Reactive Dermatosis -where can i find zinc sulphate

I've used Zinpro on alpacas so it should be safe on goats.

3. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009

Did the zinpro help your alpaca??? Did they have zinc reactive dermatosis?

The reply i received from the company had the following information for me:

"The ingredients for the Zinpro Chewable Tablets is: Micrystalline cellulose, brewers yeast, garlic zinc methionine, fish protein concentrate, natural cheese flavor magnesium stearate. There is 13mg of elemental zinc in each tablet, a daily dose for each 20 lb dog weight."

Not real sure i should be feeding goats fish protein or cheese flavor magnesium stearate. :scratch:

And it only has 13mg! That is 77 pills a day to get the 1g as directed. :shocked:

Do you think it would be ok to buy a bottle of human zinc and use that?

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

My first reaction would be to offer her free choice kelp (seaweed meal). It contains zinc in a natural form (along with lots of other minerals) and is better for the goats than any one mineral by itself.
    And then, if the kelp didn't work, I would go with what the vet said. :)

5. ksalvagno

I bought a bag of Zinpro 40 from Quality Llama Products and it was in powder form. I can't say that the alpaca had zinc reactive dermatosis. The vet just looked at the alpaca and no testing was done. There was fiber loss on the nose and ears and she was black. So she was given about 1/8 teaspoon per day for a couple of weeks and the fiber grew back.

Most places only sell the 55 lb bag but if you call around, they may sell smaller quantities.

6. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009

The goats have access to free choice mineral all the time. the kelp was a good idea, but i think i need to make sure to only treat for one thing at a time so i know exactly what I did that helps when we get this figured out. lol

I'll have to see if i can find the zinpro for llamas. I'm sure that would be much better for my goats than the zinpro for dogs.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!

7. ksalvagno

Contact Quality Llama Products by phone. I think they still sell Zinpro in smaller quantities but it isn't on their website.