The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I see Zinc mentioned quite a bit here from those who are supplementing or feeding free choice.

So I have questions.

1. Is it safe to feed it free choice or is there a risk of overdosing?

2. I know Zinpro is what is used most per posts, but which product do you buy? I saw they made it for most species except small ruminants.

I'm kind of wondering if we don't have a Zinc issue. I don't want to dose them in case they don't need it, but would like to at least offer free choice if people have results putting it in the mineral feeder next to loose minerals. I have a hard time getting our goats to eat loose minerals over the years (I've used several different kinds).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can get minerals specifically formulated, and put higher zinc, but there are no zinc supplements I'd give free choice besides TruCare, which quickly gets cost prohibitive. I give ZinPro, https://www.zinpro.com/products/original-line/zinpro
It is extremely concentrated and designed to only add to mineral formulations, so you can't give it free choice. I dose with it.
I would recommend you dose with it and see if you see any results. The dose isn't enough to cause toxicity issues in a short period, and you should notice good results quickly, if you're going to.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys.

CBPitts - the symptoms are dry/flaky skin, and we have one that started foaming when she chews cud (4yo and started about last summer I think), and when she kidded she was losing a huge amount of hair.
Then more than usual have what appear to be mites. I might have 1-2 adults this time of year, but have at least 4. I've heard low Zinc can make them more susceptible to mites, but haven't gotten facts yet to back that up. I just haven't had time to read and look into Zinc and trust everyone's opinion here on TGS.

Maybe I will just wait and see if the copper makes a difference. I really need to read and investigate more as I definitely wouldn't want to hurt them. The problem with loose minerals is getting our does to eat them. Even when they are on low grain diet, they still won't eat them, maybe nibble if I bring them out and offer fresh. I clean out the mineral feeder, and refresh and it's like they don't touch them. This has been an ongoing issue for probably 7 or 8 of nearly 10 years of raising goats.
I've tried different brands of loose minerals, and have 2 opened bags and refuse to buy any more until we can use these up, because I'm tired of throwing away $$. One is Purina which they used to eat fairly well about 4 years ago, and the other is from a local feed mill.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I appreciate it. I think I'll hold off and see what happens. My issue again is getting them to eat loose minerals. No way my husband will support the idea of buying another bag, when we have 2 bags in the shed. I know they need them... wish the brats would eat them.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
@mariarose recommends the feeding of a sheep mineral alongside a goat mineral for zinc. If your goats need more zinc, they will gravitate towards it.

That being said, I have used ZinPro, and I have seen it help and improve skin, but not nearly as much as I've seen TruCare4 improve zinc deficiencies.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
For others consideration: If you go the sheep mineral option, verify that it does actually contain more zinc in the analysis. In the case of Purina brand loose minerals, the goat minerals has nearly double the zinc content of their sheep mineral, so it would be a complete waste of money.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Goatblessings - I haven't looked into the cost, yikes! Now I am afraid to look at it lol! I am so afraid to add Zinc if they really don't need it, ugh.

Nigeriandwarfowner - That's interesting, thanks for the info I hadn't seen where she had posted that. My big issue is getting my husband to let me buy more minerals. We currently have 2 different bags in our shed. Until I can get rid of one, he will make a big fuss (already is because of the waste :( ). But I'll definitely look into trying to get some. Now I wish I'd known this sooner, I could probably have gotten some from my neighbor to try (long time breeder who recently sold out).

What is Trucare4?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Hi all!
TruCare4 IS a ZinPro product. But one of the 4 is copper. The idea is to not make them ingest unneeded copper.

The benefit to a quality sheep mineral being offered alongside (not instead of!) a quality goat/cattle mineral, is not that the zinc is higher in the sheep but the copper is lower. In other words, the animals can get zinc without ingesting more copper, while still getting the other mineral interactions, because the sheep mineral is not zinc alone, but all the other ones as well. This interaction ALSO addresses the ODing danger as well.

So it doesn't really matter if the levels are more zinc. It matters if the levels are quality zinc apart from having to take in more copper.

YES, reading the labels and getting quality product is still vital. That part will never change. I only offered sheep minerals in times of extra stress, and only in conjunction with my quality goat and cattle minerals. Not instead of them.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
P.S. I've used, and liked, TruCare4. Good product. But we have to be aware of how and why it works, and thereby make it work for us. And what the downfalls are, and how that might NOT work for us.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I hadn't seen where she had posted that.
I posted it in my excellent minerals thread as what I was resorting to in response to our environmental pressures. I didn't push it much elsewhere. So I'm not surprised you didn't see it.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
P.S. I've used, and liked, TruCare4. Good product. But we have to be aware of how and why it works, and thereby make it work for us. And what the downfalls are, and how that might NOT work for us.
In my case, it was cost prohibitive AND needed a daily dosing for everyone in my herd. As I didn't see everyone in my herd on a daily basis, it was not the right product for ME.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a question for you all!
I think I have zinc deficiency in my herd.

I’m buying zinc citrate powder. Is that ok to use?

I will post a couple photos but definitely have skin issues. And my solid red doe is turning orange!! Could that be related to a zinc deficiency??

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could help you Buck Naked Boers, but I have no experience with using Zinc. We opted not to try it right now and see if the hair/skin issues resolve and as far as nose hair loss goes, there has been improvement on most. Right now our herd is still shedding out considerably, and for the first time in years, they are consuming loose minerals, like...cleaning out the mineral feeder consuming, I am absolutely shocked!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hoosiershadow: no worries thank you for responding tho! So what mineral are you using that they are eating so well??

I have sweetlix meat maker right now but they don’t typically gobble it up. Unless we are feeding them out of a human held container. Lol.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I can’t use zinpro because of the high calcium they add. I’ve got a wether that’s been stone free now for a few years. But I have to be careful with calcium cause he gets calcium stones.

I have same problem as you the flaky skin dry dandruff especially my colored does.

I am pretty sure this is a zinc issue.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts